dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Sirius Satellite Radio...

Sirius Satellite Radio...

I have to admit - I am a 20 year Stern fan and this is what precipitated my latest gadget purchase. I am, however, very happy with the programming so far. No Howard until next week, but music with no commercial is quite a treat. I love my iPod, but it takes work. Being able to have someone else pick my playlist is ery welcome.

I am listening to Richard Pryor on the comedy channel right now. The sound quality is great and the reception is perfect. Anyone else made the switch to satellite yet? If not, I highly recommend it.

RH
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

No question... this is gonna be huge.

if it isn't already.

I'm an XM Radio fan for the last 3 years. Still waiting on them to get the damn portables to be fully dependent of the PC and/or docking units - wasn't the first Delphi units actually truly portables, but they were ugly as ****? - and that one I do like by Sirius S50, but it does seem to fail as a "portable"... unless I dock the damn thing at home or my car.

But satellite radio... f'n love it.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

My dad got Sirius for the car and its Siriusly cool. I love how you can have it constantly recording so you can replay a song or skip a song. It worked grate driveing through the snow storm we got here (once I figured out that we have to clear the snow off the top of the reciver)
    This is our world now, the world of the electron and the switch. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    Still waiting on them to get the damn portables to be fully dependent of the PC and/or docking
    What about Siruis on your iPod?
    Anything like that in the works?

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21
    I have to admit - I am a 20 year Stern fan and this is what precipitated my latest gadget purchase. I am, however, very happy with the programming so far. No Howard until next week, but music with no commercial is quite a treat. I love my iPod, but it takes work. Being able to have someone else pick my playlist is ery welcome.

I am listening to Richard Pryor on the comedy channel right now. The sound quality is great and the reception is perfect. Anyone else made the switch to satellite yet? If not, I highly recommend it.

RH
    which reciever did you get? a portable?
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I got the Sportster Replay - Non portable, but got home kit and car kit, so it can be taken on the road as well. It's about the size of a portable cd player.

S-50 (portable) --- too expensive.
    Starmate replay - too bright - interferes with driving, but looks and works great.

F*ck you hanratty, right in the ear.

I'm so staunchly opposed to paying for radio but now you've got me thinking about it. It would be really nice in our office. I do get bored trying to make new playlists all the time. Stern might be good again and NPR can be a bit depressing in the morning.

If you go month to month, are there cancellation fees? Is there a market for used hardware?

Also, antennas. I'm assuming you just can't carry the thing around, you need to have an antenna plugged into it?
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    F*ck you hanratty, right in the ear.
    F*ck you very much!

I'm so staunchly opposed to paying for radio but now you've got me thinking about it. It would be really nice in our office. I do get bored trying to make new playlists all the time. Stern might be good again and NPR can be a bit depressing in the morning.
    I agree completely. Incidentally, you do pay for radio. Everytime you listen to Meineke, or Home Loan Refinance or McDonalds try to sell you something...you are paying for it. Paying with your time and your ears.

If you go month to month, are there cancellation fees? Is there a market for used hardware?
    No - check their site. You can cancel at anytime (vacation, etc) and if you re-activate within (x) months, no activation fee (which is only 10 or 15 bucks anyway) I would imagine ebay is ok for used hardware. You can transfer your account to new hardware if you got an updated receiver as well.

Also, antennas. I'm assuming you just can't carry the thing around, you need to have an antenna plugged into it?
    no - cant carry it around. It needs external power (unless you get the S50 model) from AC outlet or Car Lighter adapter, etc. Like I said though..I got the car kit and home kit...so you just pop the thing out of one cradle and put it in the other one. The one thing I was worried about was reception (being in Manhattan - not much direct satellite view available...) I didn't even put my antenna near a window. Apparently, they have ground based repeaters in all metropolitan areas, so if you are in an apartment/high rise (or ground floor of a brownstone like me), no worries.
    Last edited by hanratty21; 01-04-2006 at 03:01 PM.