A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Need some feedback, does this work?

Need some feedback, does this work?

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a Flash site for a landscape gardening company, and although its early days, I'm at the point where I could so with some reassurance (or otherwise) whether my style actually works.

I'm referring to the main content, the randomised squares that compose the background of the text, logo and buttons.

Please get back to me asap with your thoughts, if you don't think it works then some suggestion on how it could be improved would be much appreciated.

http://www.slinx.co.uk/heritage/heri...04%20new4.html

Thanks guys,

Steve

NB. No preloader at this stage so please be patient!

Theres no content on the 3 breakout pages and there's also no back button (probably intentional but a little annoying when your trying to look around.) Animations are smooth which is good. I think the random sqaures are a nice transitional effect but I think behind text/links they should become solid squares so they are less distracting.

Good pictures except the lawnmower one is quite pixely.

I dont know if the intro is necessary but it's short and there is a skip button so no problems there.

Preloaders are easy, get one up

I dunno, I don't think im in critique mode right now.
    Good Luck
    -J

SAMedia Blog (general bs) :: jwinmedia (my music site)
    "Think of an advertisement where the product you're marketing is Jesus!"
    -From a work for hire ad

-_-
    Yes please. A preloader will make it a lot better.

-_-
    Very nice site.

Thanks guys...

I've added a preloader, what do you think?

http://www.slinx.co.uk/heritage/preload.html

I'm still not too sure about the randomised squares, I think from a design perspective it lacks a little cohesion...

Looks very good. The only suggestions I'd add is, when the intro is done, maybe try some other effect, the pixelation on the zoom in looks a little odd ( even though it does seem to be vector graphics ) maybe to solve that problem, up the FPS to say 30 or 35. I primarily work with 50FPS, it makes you use more frames for animation, since the framerate is so high, but makes nice smooth transitions. In your case, however I think 30 should be good. It will remove the chopiness of the intro. Another thing, which I don't know if it's me specifically or not but I would get rid of the spin around effect on the big H on the main screen ( the left upper corner one ) to me such big 3d text animations look somewhat cheesy. The ones on the buttons though seem to look fine since they are not that big.

Other than that the only other suggestion I would make is to dead center the content and it should be good to go.

PS: In regards to randomized squares, I like them in the intro ( the background for the section names ) it' gives it kind of an odd glittery effect that I actually like, but as said before, having it be behind main screen text looks a little odd, you'd have to make it solid for the text area and leave the border pixelated as is, but I'm not sure it will have the same effect, and might look a little off. I guess try it out.
    Last edited by noiselab; 01-03-2006 at 08:14 PM.

Hey guys... thanks for all the replies, I've taken your feedback into account and progressed a little further on the site.

http://www.slinx.co.uk/heritage/preload.html

Please take another look and advise whether you think I'm on the right tracks.

Cheers, Steve