A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash Site

Raien

Flash Site

I know it might be horrid.. but could someone who knows how to make a website using flash.. make some tutorials for it? I dont mean just the preloader bar.. thats pretty simple.. I mean like how you hav the 'pages' and the links to each and interactive things within. (I'm sure they're all pretty simple things, but just all together and intertwined, yet it blows over my head).

I've been trying to figure this out for a while. Im in and have been in a buynch of computer classes, but nowadays its the students teaching the teachers (and mine actually said 'I dont know Photoshop or Flash, so we wont do it).

Please?! Just some would be nice.. at least to get started..

I really want to learn how to make some!

Raien
    Or please refer me to some...

ummm...it is simple, do u want a website with animation inbetween the pages(the transitions) or do u want it to just appear???

Raien
    Well, I would like to learn the transitions to make it look better, but just learning how to make it appear is enough for me xD (Of course, Im finding all these tutorials for 'Preloader on your Site' and 'How to animate the background' but nothing that tells me actually how to make the site. Just how to do all these extra little things in it).

I guess you could say I want to learn everything about it..

thefirstmacever
    the nations capitol, but I wish it was San Diego
    check out lynda.com, or books by lynda weinmann. very simplified and easy to follow

Raien
    Thanks^^ I suppose they might have some of her books at the library? **is insane;y out of money for about 5 months**

there are also tons of tuts here on flash kit

Raien

Yah..

Yah, but unfortunately the authors either think the person is already completely literate in Flash (which of course, common sense says they wouldnt need the tutorial if they alreayd knew ALOT of flash), or they dont give the right thing in the tutorial. Like it will be on 'how to make a preloader for the flash site' but in the end, the preloader is all you can put on there and its the entire site. Either that, or theyre steps are just rediculous and dont make sense (like saying 'go to Modify> Document and change..' but its not liek that, its all messed up like 'Modify> Convert Symbol and click insert' so it leaves the learner scrambling to try to find this 'insert' on a supposid 'convert symbol' under 'modify'. And we all know that doesnt exist.. )

Well I would suggest buying a book, that is how I got started it was simple, although
    It may take some time its the cheapest way to learn the program, you can grab a book for beginners.

What you are asking for is a bit much for me to take the time and do teaching you to build a whole site is quiet the process, I have built site from the ground that have taken 6 months, it all depends on how complicated you want it to be, take in stride and I am sure that people on this site will help you threw it including me!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by freshly; 01-19-2006 at 04:46 PM.

The problem with finding tutorials on how to make an actual site with Flash, are the amount of ways one could possibly make a site using Flash. Beyond the amount of 3rd party programs that may be used to enhance the quality of the Flash movies themselves, the coding used in the movies can be handled in many different ways as well. Where one person may tell you it's best to use an "onEnterFrame" event handler, another will tell you to use a "setInterval()".

The point is with each new site being created, new code may (and most likely will) be required. If a person made a site using one a specific code that one was interested in, the code may become to intertwined with the other code in the movie for many beginners to follow along with clearly. For this reason many people are more likely to create a tutorial on how a single effect was done, so one has the freedom to learn and use the effect in new and unique ways.

As mentioned in the above posts already, I’d suggest reading through some books. Personally, I enjoy going to stores like Barnes and Noble which allow one the comfort of reading through the books and taking the time to find those that suit ones needs best.

yep agreed book book book.. always good to have one of those hooge doorstep type ones on your desk.. i rate the bible (sctionscprit that is)..

has to be pointed out that nothing worthwhile comes for free in this world.. consider it an investment..

Always learning
    here is the tutorial I learned from

just take your time and follow each step one by one

http://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx2004/transitions.htm
    Inasite - left brain is always right
    www.inasite.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kurama333
    Well, I would like to learn the transitions to make it look better, but just learning how to make it appear is enough for me xD (Of course, Im finding all these tutorials for 'Preloader on your Site' and 'How to animate the background' but nothing that tells me actually how to make the site. Just how to do all these extra little things in it).

I guess you could say I want to learn everything about it..

Check your PM.

Raien

Thanks ^^;

Thanks, these realyl help out. But.. I know you can add more things to it. And yes, it woudl be complicated to say all those things and such, but just the basics, like a plain site, would be nice. Just learning how to MAKE them(liek required movie clips, enter script), how the intereact, and how to make them link together. Thats pretty basic. I have been using a couple of flash tutorial sites, but only one helps me out in any way, and it only teaches navigation. So then I have to backwards work it and stuff.

But still, witht he extra things, Im workongon makign the 'home' page, and Ive added a scrolling text application in there and a snow animation/interaction as well. I just still cant QUITE wrap my head around the website part of it.. Hopefully with the more nudges and links you all have provided here, I will be able to.

(I dont go to the Lobrary for those books, cus rental costs and they dont have them. And those books you speak of are expensive, too much to buy anyway, and most are full of blabbering... T.T) My teacher is also attempting to figure out how to make a flash site..

man you have to be willing to put time into this, there are books out there that actually show you how to build a site right from the preloader. Basic Intermediate and Advanced are the 3 levels check this link

http://www.lynda.com/

but like I said it takes time and practice

Raien

Jya

Jya no joke.. I did this one winter scene tutorial liek 10 times and tried to do it by myself and missed some step so minute, yet so important, that it fudged up the entire animation. But I am putting time into it. I have been working on learning flash since beginning of my junior year. And my senior year is almost over. All of my buddies and I all the time (though they liek to focus more on poser and 3d studio and just mess around in there rather than doing a tut and learning.. but they still find tuts and do em and learn some stuff).

This is mind boggling.. but I thik I almost have it. Think. Ill see when I try to apply it to a photo gallery project I have due this next friday.