A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: JWin vs. gerbick :: beware of the minty freshness

Quote Originally Posted by lefteyewilly
    I think you need to visit this little thread again mr. gerbik :
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=668535

great job by the way on your last image.
    *Goes off to edit in some more "man love" into brokebackwilly's posts*

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Quote Originally Posted by JWin
    I always include an extracted item, ...
    it's all good

SAMedia Blog (general bs) :: jwinmedia (my music site)
    "Think of an advertisement where the product you're marketing is Jesus!"
    -From a work for hire ad

less talk more picture making
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Yeah i dont remember ever including stocks in battles, now it seems like its quite common to include all the stocks used...kind of kills the challenge if you ask me.

I saw what you said. But I don't think you're following.

You asked me for the originals. That's sorta akin to asking the magician the secret to the trick.

The only reason I showed an original was to show what was done to a deceptively simple photo-edit that people somehow kept overlooking. I wasn't setting a precedence where it was the norm - it's not something that's typical - and in the 40-some odd battles I've been in over the last 5 or so years, sharing the originals wasn't an option.

I saw where you said "extracted"... before that, you asked for the Earth copy. Contradiction is right there.

I'm not trying to sound heavy-handed in my approach, it's just that I'm seeking clarification.

Now, want the earth stock, as earlier asked or not?

now, i'm sorry, and i know the battles are for images mainly, but i think we have to clarify the rules.i know jwin ASKED for the original, but are we not supposed to post the sources of the images? I mean that's the correct thing to do as we're technically 'stealing' other peoples photos most of the time. I know gerbs created that earth image, but maybe it should have been clarified. (didn't we kick flashkid out for not posting the source of his image...no matter how plagerized it was?)

flashkid took a picture, pasted it on terragen, and then added the text rawr..
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Naw, he got in trouble because he claimed something that was 99.5% not his, as his.

He just added an overlay of a hand to it and that was it. He didn't give proper credit to the originator of a finished photoshop image here at Flashkit, but he did a bit later at DeviantArt. He got called out here at FK, which started a 4 website (Designphorum, Flashkit, DeviantArt, and his own forums he had started) rant like no other. It was not simply a photo stock. It was as if you were to go into my gallery, just overlay the letter L on an image I created and then called it yours later to get busted by me and you react violently.

Posting originals was never the issue. Some people did it, the majority never did. I'm from the thought - as when this area was started - that if you use published libraries/stock, then give credit where it's due. For mine, I was digging into NASA (duh) pretty deeply. The edits to the astronaut were mine, but the stock was theirs. Not exactly a stretch of imagination for that.

Sorta like if I had gone with the original Chevy photos I was going to use, it'll be edits of Chevy stock. But the composition is mine... and that's something akin to what FKid had stolen... a fully composited image.

Neither JWin or myself are guilty of that. So the FKid reference is quite off, imho.

But since that situation, we've stated that you should give credit to major portions of your images if it were majorly unedited stock.

I wanted more than just antartica...but we've moved on. No more linking to stocks. I just thought it would be easier/better looking to work with the high rez originals but if that's not the name of the game that's cool.

First battle stumbles, but we're back on track. Let's get it on

-From a work for hire ad

that's a cloud over Alaska.

didn't even look, just makin a bad joke

-From a work for hire ad

that's coo gerbs. I couldn't remember the whole flashkid thing. And i sure don't want the arena to be strict at all, that can turn too many people away. I just want to make sure everyone's on the same page so they don't feel attacked/victimized in any way.

Viva La Arena!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First off, it's funny the first thing I thought of when I looked at the previous image was coke cola, But I got past that. I thought your image really showed of what I would think of Vegas. I also have not been there but it felt right. I think it was a well balanced photo, but i'm not part of the heavy weigh crowd either. Plus everyone has thier own taste.

Gerbick, I really wish I could exsplain what I mean by saying the "Gerbick Style" but I can't. Just some people you could pick an image out of 20 other images and say, with confidence, that was done by such and such. You did all the things you normally do by paying attention to even the smallest of details, extreamly strong typography skills, great balace, just to name a few. It just didn't have the same feel that I remember from way back when. I'm digging your new photo manips and soon enough everyone will call that the "Gerbick style..

Then again maybe i just said it so you would wonder lol
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by JWin
    ...I thought the main point was to use an idea within the image (i.e. the girls earring was a di, so I put dice in it)...
    Actually it was always my understanding that it wasn't just an idea that you wanted to use from the previous image, it was a piece of the image itself. That means no stock, no .psd sharing...just working from what was given in the volley or serve. Isn't that exactly what a volley or serve is? Each person works to create something new from the image that came previously.

So sure, posting links to stock is appropriate when there is some kind of question about the origin of a piece or to help others more fully understand the manipulation process. In general though, you use what you're given in the serve. Therein lies the challenge, man!
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Good clarification Rush. As mostly an arena lurker, that makes sense to me.

JWin, I like the vegas image. The dice is a nice touch and the silouette babes remind me of Velvet Revolver. I also like the use of white in the image. It's nu Vegas.

Gerbs, the outer-space thing is cool. I think it does what you set out to do and what you are master of. Use a simple type / font choice in a composition that makes a statement. Hard to describe what I mean. Something about the type choice is perfect.
    Last edited by admedia; 01-11-2006 at 09:32 AM.

What am I missing?
    I really like gerbs' last return....
    Love the colours, the reflection? (could be he's floating off a space station and we see what he's looking at... it gives you space *no pun intended* to interperate it which ever way you like... Id be a bit worried if there were only stars in his visor... could mean he's lost and gonna run out of feul and pop cause of pressure and die. NOT fun) (and yes my immagination is running away with me again)
    and I love the wording. Nice.
    This battle is good so far. Whats with all the negativity?
    Do I need to come round here and start smashing heads?

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    O. K. now that we all have the rules down.....GET BACK TO WORK!!

More Images.....!

36 layers, and 3 re-uploads later. Here we have it

-From a work for hire ad

now that's damn nice dude.

wow, thanks a lot gerbs. I can't wait to see your return

-From a work for hire ad