A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: SWF SDK

I remember hearing someone saying something about the SWF SDK that's released has errors in it. Can anyone verify and/or give a little more information about that?
    Thanks.

RE: Errors

Yes, the SDK has a plethora of bugs. Use SWFDump (from openswf.org) to "debug" your SWFs. Here are the most common problems:

1) File Size (not bug): 64k objects max
    2) Line Size (bug???): 0,0 length lines or curves will cause a player crash (no check for this in SDK code)
    3) Color transforms need to be modified for full functionality (basically, you just need to put the functions in the base class instead and add a virtual member).
    4) Action problems (a bunch of the actions, WaitForFrame, Push, etc. don't work...you have to modify the code and change it to the correct values).
    5) DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO COMMENTS IN CODE!!! This is a major mistake. Most of the examples don't even work correctly, and the comments are WRONG (many places the programmers just say "we don't know what this does"). Also, DX and DY in the shape record functions are different for change records and shape records (Although comments don't differentiate). In one, they are offsets (hence DX) however, in another they are absolute positions!!!

In any case, Middlesoft did a VERY poor job on this release. There is rumored to be another SDK that Macromedia just hasn't released yet. Stay tuned for news on that.

I do have a version of the SDK that I have been working with that has all the bugs I know of out...however, I don't think I can upload it anywhere because of the license from Macromedia.

Basically, if you have checked your code and can't find any problems, SWF dump the code and see if it is getting written correctly (use File Format Docs to verify).

--Jesse

Re: RE: Errors

Hi, Jesse,

I also found:
    1)The SDK dose not check bitmap width and height from the jpeg file.
    2)The SDK is lack of function to convert TrueType fonts to SWF glyphs.

I do have a version of the SDK that I have been working with that has all the bugs I know of out...however, I don't think I can upload it anywhere because of the license from Macromedia.
    Is it possible to email your version of SDK to me (yiyisun@yahoo.com), I would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Yiyi Sun