A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Stupidest Question Ever :)

Stupidest Question Ever :)

Alright, this is my first day using flash, so bear with me when i ask some really stupid questions. Here they are:

1. When i make a new flash file, all the tutorials i read say "Now go to 'Modify > Movie' " but, when i go to modify, the only option i see is "Document" so, my first question, is how to i make it a movie instead of a document?

now for question number 2!

2. where is the "Effects Tab" ? I am reading a tutorial on how to make a basic flash site, and it says "now go to the Effects Tab, and drop the alpha down to about 30%" i cant really do that without knowing where the effects tab is

Please help me out >,< I'm so confused.

Thanks,
    -Scott

1. Welcome to the wonderful world of Flash!

2. There is never such a thing as a stupid question - wanting to expand your knowledge is always a positive thing.

3. I wonder what tutorials do you use. They seem to describe everything wrong. Try changing the tutorials. The alpha (for a movie clip) is changed in the Properties panel below the scene, once the movie clip is selected. And, yes you modify your movie, but it IS called document. Again, you should change your learning source.

Good luck!

Luka

New kid on the block!
    1. The author might be meaning the 'FLA document' by saying 'movie' in that tutorial. To create a movie/graphic/button in Scene1 Press Ctl+F8. To convert an Object into a movie/graphic/button select it and press F8. Instead Select it and from Modify menu click Convert to symbol. Or Right click and from the context menu select 'Convert to symbol.

2. The Effect tab is usually located in the properties bar situated at the bottom as a drop down list. The name can vary according to the version of Flash you are using.

The effect bar will only be available once an object is converted to a Symbol.

All these kind of help can be found within Flash Help.

Arun

New kid on the block!
    Didn't see Luka Maras post when I started replyin it...

Uhm, thanks guys but im still not seeing any effects tab, or alpha. Here is a link to a screenshot i took, could someone maybe edit it telling me where it is and post it again? i'd really appreciate it.

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/1...ashhelp2xl.jpg

Thanks Guys,
    Scott

See the Properties panel at the bottom?

There is a menu that says Color: none
    on its right side. Click this menu and you'll see
    alpha in it.

Like I side, change your tutorials. The ones you
    are using are "aaargh".

Alright, thanks guys

Ugh, I met another problem. Sorry to bombard you guys with these nooby questions, but this is the tutorial that i am working on:

http://www.webdesigntutorials.net/tu...Flash_Site.php

and on step "15" he says go to the "Frame" tab. And i cant find that anywhere can somebody tell me where it is? It looks like hes using an older version

Thanks,
    -Scott

New kid on the block!
    Frames are those seen in the timeline at the top... first try to understand all the interfaces using the help docs that comes with flash.

and i THINK judging by the screenies, that it is an odler version of Flash thats being used in the tutorial. It doesnt seem like my boxes and icons and what not are that...squarish.

thanks guys, i figured it out