A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Various Paper Looks?

Various Paper Looks?

Hey,

I want to know the best way to get various paper looks and bring them into Flash.

This sounds like a job for Photoshop!

Here is an interesting website that someone else posted:
    http://www.enjoygreenergrass.com/main_site/main.html

They kind of are doing what I am looking to do.

Any suggestions on getting different kinds of paper looks?

Thanks

I'd recommend visiting your local specialty paper store, find some that you like, then take them home and scan them. You can run them clean or crumple them up and/or distress them in whatever manner you desire.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

i've done this before, and i agree with Rush. However, you should use colored paper. If you use white, the scanner won't pick it up very well.

Thanks for the feedback.
    I guess that is what they did with John Lennon's website.
    http://johnlennon.com/site.html

Yeah, I would think so. You can make such things from scratch in Photoshop, but it's often quicker and easier to just scan a piece of real paper. Depends on how good you are with Photoshop, I guess.
    mrush

The next question is, where can I get some really good paper sounds for flash?

Again, I think you will get the best results by simply creating the sounds yourself. There are various sources around the net for sounds, but the chance of you finding a sound that fits your needs exactly is minuscule.

You can use whatever crappy microphone you have available, the one that probably came with your computer (if you bought it bundled) will work just fine. Otherwise, just go pick up a cheap one from Radio Shack or your local computer store. Then you need a basic 'wav editor' that will let you at the very least trim the extra space off the front and back end of the sound. I use GoldWave. It's simple, easy to learn and use, and the shareware version should get you through this project. Buy it later if you like it. Learning to use a sound editor like GoldWave (google it) will serve you VERY well for creating or modifying all types of sounds for use in Flash (or anywhere else).

Once you've got a microphone and a sound editor, set up your mic on the edge of your desk/work table and then hit the record button and start making noises with your paper right next to it. I find it easier to create a bunch of different noises during a single recording session then use that file to cut and paste snippets out of than it is to create a single sound, see if it works, then try again if it doesn't. When you get something you are happy with, save it out as an 8-bit mono .wav then import that into Flash.

So there you go, not only do you have a fairly quick solution for creating this sound, but also the means to create others in the future.

And btw just so you know...it's all good, but questions like this that are not related to graphics or design are best posted in the specific forums set up to deal with those subjects. This gives you the best chance of getting assistance from people who are knowledgeable in your subject of interest, and it also makes it easier for other people to find the information if they are looking for it at another time.
    mrush

Then I am in a good place. I have a good Sure Mic that I purchased years ago. I can use my Pro Tools LE to record the sound in OS9, export the sounds as wav or aiff files, and import them into Flash.

I own a Rebel XT and a Tripod. I still have to figure out how the tripod works. I guess I can shoot the photos of the paper with that. But I don't have those big lights. I only have a flash that came with the camera. Should I purhcase or rent the lights? Is it neccessary?

Yeah, you could use a camera instead of a scanner as long as the resolution is high enough. I think the XT's eight megapixels should be sufficient.

As for lights, you should be able to get by with desk lamps, swing-arm lamps, or whatever you have on hand. I have no idea what you have available though, so experimentation will be your best friend here.
    mrush