A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much for a Flash Game?

How much for a Flash Game?

Hi All, i have been making Flash games for quite some time now, and have been selling them to anyone who's interested. I know that most freelancers steer away from pricing discussion due to probable competition, but since we all have our own set of clients, i know that this should not be the case.

Anyway, so i'm selling customized (client logo/links included in the game) Flash games. I saw that miniclip.com sells customized flash games for around USD2,000 or USD2,500. I don't know if that's cheap, average, or too expensive. But that's really not my what i'm asking.

If you were to sell a customized Flash game... including rights and source code; meaning the client will OWN the game and he can do whatever he wants with it, and you can no longer sell it to anyone else, how much would you sell it for? What is the average going rate of a simple customized Flash Game (like Tetris, brickout, space invaders, asteroids, etc)?
    i eat actionscripts for breakfast

This probably isnt anything to gauge off, since I havnt sold games... but I have made quite a lot of them. For something as simple as a retro arcade games that you listed, I would probably charge 300USD each, and would only take me a day to make... keeping in mind id also be selling permissions, source code, unlimited useage, templates for easily adding advertisements, and id be making menus and control/sound/visual setup menus.

If they wanted anything other than that (intro animations, custom music, highscore table), then that would be extra.

300USD for less than a days work seems nice to me.
    "Good lord, you're wasting thousands of dollars worth of Interferon!"
    "... and you're Interferon with our good time!"

I would not charge anywhere near as little as 300USD for a game.

These people have the oppurtunity to make bucketloads of cash from your game if they have all entitlements.

Depending on time, difficulty and the amount of customisation, I would go anywhere from $2000-$10000.

But that's jsut me.

well its only a retro arcade game. and it's dead easy to grab the source code from any tutorial website.

and it depends who the client is. I mean, I know it breaks the number one rule of design (never designing for freinds or family, theres numberous reasons why you shouldnt), but i would probably charge:

50-100 for a close freind or relative
    300 for a regular customer
    1000 for a big company where im promised to get repeated work oppertunities
    moreso if its a one-time job from the same.

lets keep in mind that its JUST an arcade game. nothing custom or groundbreaking. im seriously doubting them getting bucketloads from me... in fact, id expect that i'd make more than them from it.
    "Good lord, you're wasting thousands of dollars worth of Interferon!"
    "... and you're Interferon with our good time!"

Oh ok, it does depend on the originality of the game, if it is very very basic stuff I guess your pricing is about right.

I spent like 3 months working on a game, and i got 110 dollars for it
    of course, i wasnt selling it
    what a great country

We charge $950 for a standard platform engine.
    Then we add charges for extras, say $200 per level.
    $100 per enemy etc.
    Normally a basic platform game with 6 levels and a hi-score system
    comes to just under $1900.
    I also offer free marketing advice and charge more if they don't allow it in our portfolio.

Different games, need different engines and can cost more or less, depending on what is needed. Basically we charge different per project.
    I hope those describe how we work and I hope it helps.

Best Regards,
    Mr. David Rudge M.A.
    Creative Director
    Lets Design UK
    http://www.letsdesign.co.uk

is that US Dollars?
    FlashX

Then we add charges for extras, say $200 per level.
    $100 per enemy etc.
    Normally a basic platform game with 6 levels and a hi-score system
    comes to just under $1900.
    What?? Man, i got ripped off bad Or, most likely, you are a corrupt buissness man

Let me start with my background.

In the past I've sold over 20 costumized games and engines to various brands including every single right.

Currently, I work with sponsor sites (Mainly ArmorGames but other sites like CMG too) and I've handled over 100 sponsorships and graphic creation.

The rate for a fully fledged costume game including the source code can reach 10K sometimes, I've sold a game for that once but the problem is that sort of game normally isn't fun to make, takes time and generally at the end you're just sad you sold something you worked that hard on instead of getting credit. Normally, game sites don't pay over 500$ for game remakes like tetris and stuff, usually less.

Doing your own thing works best, develop your own sort of game with your own ideas, then come to sponsors, I believe some games we sponsored may very well reach 10K at a point from all the bonuses authors receive.

Miniclip don't overcharge, but a freelancer would probably get the job done in less money and time better. You should start by making your own games and obtaining sponsorships, once you have a solid portfolio if you're still interested find a company to hire you monthly, a steady income is always nice and keep making games in your own free time, my two cents.

I don't like terms like 'standard game' because I believe game production is an art and every game is unique.

Less than 500$ for a costume game where the authur sells source and copyright is generally a bad deal, even for small games.

Sponsorship is always better, even if you get paid less the income you get from ADs to your site makes the difference up quickly, and it's an extra thing on your portfolio.

Feel free to ask any questions

Inglor

Im a rag doll
    Hi!
    Recently, I have quoted $200 for developing a flash game for a client who approached me through an E-Mail seeing my portfolio. I developed the flash game for this client and submitted the .swf file for evaluation. The client approved the game in general but wanted some modifications in the game. I requested him for an advance payment of $200 for the game, and informed him that after receipt of which I shall make the needed modifications, and submit the .fla file without charging anything extra. The client did not send the payment, and stopped responding to my several E-Mails. Please, can anybody advise what further action I can take against the client?
    Last edited by Pinky Rose; 04-08-2006 at 09:25 AM.

Pinky Rose: Without a contract, i guess there's nothing more you can do. A business agreement especially over the internet is very risky, unless the client/developer is really trustworthy. That's why it is a must that all business deals start with a contract. It protects both the clients and the developers.

If you're not used to the whole contract thing, then you have to first know the person whom you're deaking with, and create that "relationship" based on trust. But like i said, it's better to have a contract.

That's my advice... even if i don't personally do that contract thingee.

What you can probably do is post you "client's" name, or website. That way, other developers will know and be warned about the kind of business deals they do. No developer will ever want to make games or other stuff for them.
    Last edited by earl223; 04-10-2006 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by earl223
    If you were to sell a customized Flash game... including rights and source code; meaning the client will OWN the game and he can do whatever he wants with it, and you can no longer sell it to anyone else
    How can you possibly sell a client the rights to a game, such as Tetris, when you don't have the rights to that game yourself? If you were to design a game from scratch, that you could actually sell the rights to, how much would you charge? I would charge a lot more than any numbers quoted here. If I could mill out old games and slap a logo on them, some of the numbers here sound about right.

_t
    I don't feel tardy.

Tetris in the context of a casual game... i didn't say i was selling it.

How about selling to game sites?

I just wrote a simple game (over the weekend sort of thing). I've never really sold games before, so I have some questions about the business.

From reading this thread some of my questions where answered, but I was still wondering, a site like miniclip, do they buy games from freelance coders? or do they code all themselves?

There are games that I see practically in every flash game site there is... How does that work? Do they buy the game, give you royalties..?

Thanks.

Miniclip will buy games from freelancers only if the games are of the best quality, a game i would like to believe that took a few months or so to finish.

Most portals buy the game for branding (placing their logo among other things), they won't allow you to "brand" the game (sell) to other sites once they have it. This is a one-time payment deal.

Others will buy the game with intentions or repackaging/reselling your game. Of course the price is higher.

Some other portals, allow royalties. It all depends actually on who you sell your game to. It's best to know which sites offer one-time payments and who offer royalties.

Im still young
    Miniclip will buy games from freelancers only if the games are of the best quality, a game i would like to believe that took a few months or so to finish.

Most portals buy the game for branding (placing their logo among other things), they won't allow you to "brand" the game (sell) to other sites once they have it. This is a one-time payment deal.

Others will buy the game with intentions or repackaging/reselling your game. Of course the price is higher.

Some other portals, allow royalties. It all depends actually on who you sell your game to. It's best to know which sites offer one-time payments and who offer royalties.
    Hi!
    Can you please let us know the contact E-Mail of these PORTALS.

HI achyut,

Sorry, but i'm not in the habit of giving out email addresses especially if i didn't voluntarily get them in the first place (I did not find a way to contact them, but they found me).

But what you can do is do a search at yahoo or google for Flash games and most of these portals will show themselves. Most have a "Contact Us" link on their website.

Im still young
    Thank you earl223 for your prompt reply. I am developing flash games and movies primarily as a hobby.
    May I request you to view my home page http://geocities.com/achyutveluvali
    and offer yor valuable comments.

What you can probably do is post you "client's" name, or website. That way, other developers will know and be warned about the kind of business deals they do. No developer will ever want to make games or other stuff for them.
    Bad, bad, bad, bad idea. Not only is this just bad business practice to throw someone underneath the bus...it could net you in some pretty bad legal trouble. When you're posting something negative about someone on the Internet, it will never turn out well (especially here at FK).