A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: basic button and movie clip question

Here's what I want to do. I have a logo.......and I want it to fade away when the user rolls over it and then fade back to it's original state when the user rolls out.

So i have a movie clip with the motion tweening and the images....and it works well on it's own timeline.

But then I try to put it in the main timeline and that's when the confusion begins. True or false...i need to create a seperate button....and give it actions to control the clip? This is confusing to me......So what I did was to create a button that was the same as the logo....and I gave it the tell target commands that would send it to the fade out part of the movie clip on roll over and send it to the fading back part of the movie clip on roll out. However...when it fades out....it doesn't,,,,because the button is still there. Also, where must the movie clip be? On the stage? Transparent? I am obviously confused about the basics and am looking for some help.

Also, if you could address my problem specifically and not send me to some watered down tutorial that brushes through the basics, i'd appreciate it.
    Thanks

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    You can create an invisisble button by just placing a shape in the hit state. Then just place it over the logo and add these commands:

On (Roll Over)
    Begin Tell Target ("/movieclip")
    Go to and Play (2)
    End Tell Target
    End On
    On (Roll Out)
    Begin Tell Target ("/movieclip")
    Go to and Play (10)
    End Tell Target
    End On

Now it important to understand that the movie clip has an instance name of "movieclip" you can name it anything you want just make sure you name it the same in the command line and the instance name in the properties area.

You also will have to have a stop aticon in the first frame of the movie and one when the logo is no longer visisble. Hope this helps. Regards, Bill