A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: streaming video online

streaming video online

I want to create a page with a flash player on it and a series of buttons that will start a specific movie in the player when clicked. There is about 12 movie clips all between 8-20 mb after converted to FLV. So how can I set up so it will stream the video online? Or is streaming it really the best way to do this? thanks

edit: this is going to go on a webpage that the employees for the company will go to from their work locations. there is about 320 locations and the current page which we are trying to redesign maybe gets 5-10 hits a day.
    Last edited by llDanll; 01-20-2006 at 02:48 PM.

FK Slacker
    Use the NetStream and NetConnection classes:

http://www.macromedia.com/livedocs/f...html#wp4001421

K.

now will that require me to have to put the videos in the flash document? or do I load them external from the file?

-would putting the videos in the library cause the file to take a while to load?

FK Slacker
    NetStream is used to load external FLV files...

K.

I don't think you'll be using enough bandwidth to justify the use of a streaming server; you should use a FLV player that progressively downloads the videos. The experience is basically the same for users. You can try one of our players, we have a free player on our homepage, and free demos of our more advanced players:

http://components.earthscienceagency...s/flv_jukebox/

thank you so much for that special advertisement........

......now i'm going to try to answer the poster instead of sell him something

dan, it's up to you, you can put them in the main flash or you can load them. you can get a step by step video on hooking up external flvs dynamically at gotoandlearn.com

Moot, I noticed that you are asking very basic questions about FLV on another thread, http://www.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=668348 . So now I see why you didn't understand my response to Dan's post, but there is a big difference between progressive and streaming, and based on Dan's stated needs: short list of movies (~12), limited traffic (5-10 hits a day), and he wants the movies to start when a button is pushed - it sounds like a progressive player with a Thumbnail playlist is a pretty good solution.
    Last edited by esarep; 01-24-2006 at 03:34 PM.

you noticed i asked a question, basic? no. general? yes. was checking with the people that actually do video if they take the time to make flvs. i have to deal with deployment costs and clients who aren't dependable.

and yeah, your response is really.....uhhh.......complicated. streaming? whaaat? progressive???????? whaaaat is all this alien speak? traffic?? why you talk about cars?

dude, seriously. quit advertising and don't start with me because i say something about it... you're in over your head