A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: I've Had Enough!

I've Had Enough!

What in the WORLD is going on here? There was once a time when being selected as FlashKit's featured site was actually an honour. Unfortunately, with today's selection, you have officially destroyed whatever credibilty that FlashKit had left.

"Creative Art" (which, ironically, is actually neither) isn't even a Flash site! PLUS, it's hosted on some ugly, free server with popups and animated GIF's everywhere. It's AMATUER DESIGN by ANYONE'S standards! What are you guys thinking?

I've been a FlashKit fan for 6 years now. Your site has been a frequent stop for me along the way as I studied the latest Flash techniques. I was even very proud when one of my sites was chosen as the featured site back in July of 2005. But the slow, sickening decline of this site (and your standards) has been so frustrating. The supposed "award" I won has lost its lustre.

Your site is now overrun by obnoxious banner ads. Half of the pages don't even format correctly in the browser anymore. The site is RIDDLED with dead links and bugs. The tutorials you've been posting are unformatted, barely intelligible, and are less helpful than the tutes and help files that come free with Flash. Is there any standard anymore?

The once mighty FlashKit is but a SHELL of its former self...

and frankly, it's just too painful to watch. I'm done.

Respectfully,
    Boots

Dallas, TX, USA
    Aaron McClung Design - Dallas, TX, USA
    www.aaronmcclung.com

I know where your coming from mate, I've been thinking about the shameful SOTD's recently!

The site is in redesign, expected to launch around the end of the month

Instead of complaining, point towards some impressive flash sites.

After 6 years of getting nigh-daily SOTD, there are a few picked that will invariably suck. Some... well, more than others.

There's been times I've shaken my head not in disgust, but sheer disbelief. But even then, I try to submit a few sites that are definitely better than the one I'm complaining about.

Feel free to submit some SOTD that are worth it. I know you guys will run across some. Share!

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

HUH? If there are no good submissions, then there shouldn't be a "Featured Site". Don't just pick a site because it's the only submission (which I guarantee it wasn't the only submission). That's a rediculous argument. There needs to be a standard. Plus, the site I'm referring to isn't even a Flash site. Whoever is making the "Featured Site" choice is on crack.

Boots
    Aaron McClung Design - Dallas, TX, USA
    www.aaronmcclung.com

what way does the SOTD work?

ok say I submit a nice site, but on the same day 2A submit sometihng amazing, so ok they get the SOTD spot,

but what about tomorrow and the next, do I need to keep submitting my site so maybe on a slow day I'll get the spot instead of something crap?

if it is a slow day do you not go through the archives to find a cool site that was submitted some time ago but never made it up cos something amazing made it that day

Quote Originally Posted by strngr
    HUH? If there are no good submissions, then there shouldn't be a "Featured Site". Don't just pick a site because it's the only submission (which I guarantee it wasn't the only submission). That's a rediculous argument. There needs to be a standard. Plus, the site I'm referring to isn't even a Flash site. Whoever is making the "Featured Site" choice is on crack.

Boots
    Then submit a few. List them out in this thread. I'm sure whomever is picking the sites would love to see some better ones.

Ok, so would I too.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

It might be a good idea to go here:Cool Sites and do some sort of thumbs up or thumbs down voting on the links submitted there. You can also add links that you like for everyone else to critique. Then the SOTD would be based on what you folks think is worthy.

Strngr has made some good points, and I'd like to offer a few suggestions...
    - If a SOTD award results in poor quality, why not change it to a weekly thing or add some sort of community poll or pick it out of the cool sites page to restore credibility?
    - The banner ads are quite obnoxious, though I understand that they are necessary. The placing of the ads might be worth looking at. Currently, the top banner ad undermimes the actual FK header. Shouldn't that be at the very top? I don't have much against the ads, they load fast (56k anyone? ) and are well designed/relatively relevant.

i agree with you on the tutorials lol i wouldnt know much about the other stuff sence i havnt ben here that long but the tutorials are mostly lame but thats really my only pet peave about this place *so far* other then that its been really helpfull

With well over a thousand tutorials its tough to keep track of the condition of each of them so as with any other issues that you folks come a crossed on Flash Kit, please shoot me an email (Webmaster at Flashkit dotcom) with a link and it will get handled, that also includes things that you just think are lame and not necessarily broken. Flash Kit is your community so you all have a say in what’s included here.

I was just thinking...

I dunno about others, but I could probably re-write a few tutorials with better grammar and updated screenshots. Sure, I wouldn't be working like a machine doing 1 a day, but im sure no matter how slow it is, it'd be an improvement? I was just browsing through, and there's some seriously old/depreceated tutorials in there, and well, I could possibly help out yknow? :\

Zak, that would be fantastic. I would just need the updated tute using the proper coding and a link to the old tute and I can update them as I get them.
    Thanks for the help bud!