A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: PShop to InDesign

PShop to InDesign

What is the best way to export a logo from a Pshop psd file to InDesign?

Export a .tiff file? It looks like crap when I print it out and it's 300 dpi.

Would importing a regular old .psd be ideal?

New to InDesign...
    seapod00

Honestly? I'd do the *.psd in CMYK color and then import it directly into InDesign. That way, you can edit it if need be at a later date - don't laugh, it's quite useful when you get hit with a few things from resize to color doesn't work to where you need a clipping path and wish to use a path embedded in the *.psd, then it's easy to do so.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Clipping path and embed path in the psd. Hmmm...I never use those much.

How would you use 'embed path'?
    seapod00

You don't "embed" a path, see the Layer Palette? See the Path tab that's also located in the Layer Palette?

You can create a work path that will clip around the object. That will allow you to mask the object in programs such as InDesign.

Here's a quick tutorial I did a while back with an image with a Path around the entire object and how to use that embedded Path that was editable and visible via Photoshop and use that to force text to clip around it, thus using the Photoshop Path as a Clipping Path.

It's all a very simple operation. And not trying to be disrespectful, but if you don't know how to use Paths within Photoshop, you might want to seek out some tutorials or just read the manual a bit. Those kinds of things in cooperation with InDesign will make life easier.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I've used cliping paths quite extensively, but also found it to be pretty easy to simply use layer transparency to mask an image in InDesign as well.

I've even sent it as is to our print vendor with good results. Not sure about other vendors though.

I rarely if ever use tiffs anymore unless I'm using a new vendor or want to save filesize.

Seapod ... as for the logo, I'd probably try to recreate it in Illustrator first (if possible). Then you can just import the native illustrator file in and resize it w/out loss of quality. If your roped in to using Photoshop, just go with the psd.