A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Publish settings

Publish settings

I heard off a friend that setting the publish settings to flash 8 version means some people can't access the .swf file and that more people can see it if its set at flash 6.

Is this true what would you recoomand so that most people can view it on my website.

Thanks

Think about yourself
    you don't have to worry about the flash player running on ur visitors machine.
    If u build ur application in flash 8 the visitor (if had an older version of the flash player) will be asked to install a new upgrade or installation message and if he accepts, the latest player will be installed on his machine.
    So don't be worry with the flash player runing on ur visitors machine
    !!!Practice Makes a Man Perfect!!!

An FKer
    Alot of people dont like having to go download things, especially if they're just viewing something as simple as a animation or small website.

The reason people wont be able to view your website if you publish it with Flash 8 settings is because Flash8 requires Flash Player 8. Since these are both relatively new, most people dont have it installed on their machine.

Rather they still most likely have the Flash Player 6 and so wont allow them to view your website.

You could always publish it in Flash 6, or as Qaisar said, hope they go download the newest version to view your website

So if I publish in 6 people with flash 8 player will still be able to view it???

An FKer
    Yes, as long as you have the same or above Flash Player, you will be able to view the website

how many people have flash 8? is it worth worrying about, as my text doesn't "blur in" when set to flash 6 but does to flash 8

An FKer
    I have Flash 8 , so thats why I have Flash 8 player. As for everyone else, Im not sure why or if they have it.

Also, if you dont use Flash 8 settings in your project, some effects cannot be used. For example, you cant use filters or other blurring effects.

So its up to you is you want the effects but have less people view your site due to the fact they'll have to download Flash Player 8 , or lose the effects and dont worry about people having a problem.

And who knows, maybe people WONT have a problem downloading the newest Flash Player ...

So many factors