A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: video compression

web/graphic designer

video compression

This is my first post here on Flashkit.com, I just have a quick question about video compression. I am primarily an HTML guy myself, but I am developing a flash player that has a video embeded into the HTML page. The problem that I am having is that the video file that is exported is about 45MB. This is just too large, I would like it to be more around the 15MB range. Any sugestions. As of now I am just compressing it inside FlashMX2004 PRO and exporting it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The video clip is also 4 min. long.

Well, the first thing to think about is framesize - can you afford to go lower? Everybody has their own preferences but personally I get annoyed watching anything less than 320x240 pixels - I wouldn't go any lower. If your movie is larger you could consider reducing the framesize.

Then you can think about frames per second, I dont know where you are but if you are in an NTSC region maybe your video is 29.97 frames per second. Consider reducing it to 24 or 25 frames a second. Those of us in PAL regions cope just fine with this fps count and it will significantly reduce the final video size (it'll knock a sixth off - so 45mb will come down to 37.5 straight away).

Shave a little more off by changing the sound compression - you only need maximum quality sound compression for music soundtracks, a soundtrack with just speech and ambient noise can come in much smaller.

Check out the video forum here at fk and read the stickys. Also think about getting some third party software to compress your vids - sorenson squeeze does a much better job at creating compact and good quality .flvs than flash does.

Good luck.
    Last edited by onine; 01-26-2006 at 05:13 PM.

web/graphic designer
    Thank you very much. I do have the frame size of the video rather small at 390px x 270px. I think the best route is like you said, to check out the Sorenson sqeeze. Thanks again.