A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: :: INVITATION #2 and another THANK YOU ::

Some things you simply can not avoid. If your boss tells you: "...I want to see this water effect inside my home page header...", then you have to do exactly what he asks for.

Also, the color of the water is different, just because he also asked for blue water and red sky, so you can't do much more different than that. Also, I am still not sure is that water effect exactly the same as the one at 2advanced site, but sure I tried to find one that looks quite close (among 30 other water effects on that CD he purchased).

On this one I worked on, you can see the main difference, reflection of the moon in the water...

But, yeah, can't go far from what they wanted me to do... again, if I am doing something where I can decide 100% alone what will be on the site, I never go with those bells and whistles. I am crazy about pure and simple design, not about these boring Start Wars text effects, Batman spot lights and few other effects that can be seen on that site...
    :: ONLINE PORTFOLIO :: web site (Flash version 7 required, recommended screen resolution: at least 1024x768 pixels)

:: SASHA-Z-CREATIONS :: web site

true, it's good not to have a boss actually, and if you can't beat that, BE the boss.
    When you actually know what "OMG I have so much homework!" means, you won't want to be me.
    Xrave

Quote Originally Posted by tongxn
    true, it's good not to have a boss actually, and if you can't beat that, BE the boss.
    Easier said than done, and that is not for everyone. In a few years you will understand more about this sort of thing. Some people prefer security in their jobs, and that is not often found as an entrepreneur.

From what I recall, you're pretty young. Forgive me if I am wrong on that point.

true - i get more wisedom from this thread than what I found in Flash ActionScripts.
    When you actually know what "OMG I have so much homework!" means, you won't want to be me.
    Xrave

Quote Originally Posted by DaVulf
    Easier said than done, and that is not for everyone. In a few years you will understand more about this sort of thing. Some people prefer security in their jobs, and that is not often found as an entrepreneur.

From what I recall, you're pretty young. Forgive me if I am wrong on that point.
    Exactly, couldn't say it better... best possible thing and ideal would be if it is that easy. But in the real life, there is much more than just trying to be your own boss. There is a lot of things you need to take into consideration when deciding to go on your own... paperwork, legal stuff, searching for clients, meetings, and many many other... it is not that simple as it seems. Of course, it gives you a huge dose of freedom, but that's about it.

On the other hand, when it comes to working for someone else, "security" became a relative term... I was employed by this company for the last 3 months. One morning, just without any notice, literally out of nowhere, they had to cut expenses, they completely shut down the Vancouver office, layed-off 3 people in Toronto office... not a single warning, not even a 2 weeks notice, nothing... and where that security is now ? Nowhere... Again, out on the street, searching for clients and possible projects... but I guess that's the life, ups and downs... eh...
    :: ONLINE PORTFOLIO :: web site (Flash version 7 required, recommended screen resolution: at least 1024x768 pixels)

:: SASHA-Z-CREATIONS :: web site

Hi,

Searching for clients is the least fun part of being self employed. You might think that after a while, word would spread and work will find you. Think again! Competition is rather steep in the sheer number of web developers around. I love Flash and Flash development, but there is alot more that goes on than just being able to develop. You become the accountant, salesman, developer, trouble shooter, researcher, customer service rep, time manager, and more. The freedom is nice to decide when to work and when not to.....if business is good. If it is slow, 16 to 20 hour days are not uncommon in trying to make business "good" again, at least for me. It seems to be a never ending battle which has made me lean more towards a corporate gig where all I have to focus on is development. Much of the time spent in other areas would be more productive for learning AS more in depth instead of only what is needed for a particular project. In fact, I have become a bit burned out being self employed and am considering offers outside of web development. I guess everything has it's plus and minus sides. It depends on how well you handle the minus side whether being self employed is right for you. It can be very rewarding but can also be quite frustrateing.

My half cents worth

NTD

I might just put this thread into a flash file.
    I agree with NTD -
    work don't just find you like a CV or anything, nothing finds you at all if you are no good, there are thousands of CVs on the internet, around 2 millions of web-designers around the globe, and only about 6 thousand needs a little add up on their site every 12 hours. think of the chances of getting picked... In my own sentence:
    "Talent is everything."
    yet talent is not blew to you by gift, one could have thousands of talents, if he was to discover them. but only a little percentage of one's talents are discovered and put to good use. every thing is destiny in someways, and luck in others. One's destiny could not be fulfilled yet no one knows what fulfilled mean. questions may have no answer, but every answer is corresponding a question.
    A person could be in all sort of emotions but only one at a time. That is the sort of things could correspond to what destiny could be fulfilled?...

Xrave