A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: projectfreeford.com - 16 year old, guys! Unbelievable!

This thread recives So MUUUCCCHHH attention...

Coming Sooooon!!!
    I hate spam in the [ Cool Sites ] Section.

Yeah, seems like that everywhere else I posted also. That's a good thing though. I think alot of the attention is as to whether this is morally right or wrong though. I have recieved a little over 20 dollars in donations! Thanks to all who have donated so far!

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    I think alot of the attention is as to whether this is morally right or wrong though
    Some of us here aren't 16. Some of us here have children your age. Some of us here wouldn't be "proud" to hear this is the alternative our child chose as opposed to "earning" their way in life. Some of us think this is not the kind of values that should be nutured, praised or awarded in our youth. Thats just some of us though.

To me, this lacksadasical attitude is what brought us to the point we are at in society where we have little control over children (due to poor parenting) and where things like 16 year olds toting guns to school is commonplace in the news. You are doing what you are doing because you can....not because it is right and now have Flash-Kit praising you for your effort. Hopefully, my 15 year old doesn't see you as a hero.

Now that Planet and other mods have put their "seal of approval" on your "fund drive" and it's presentation, few here will go against the grain. As a father, I don't have to agree for the sake of board politics and will instead look at it as "what if you were my minor child" and will comment as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Seahorn
    Some of us here aren't 16. Some of us here have children your age. Some of us here wouldn't be "proud" to hear this is the alternative our child chose as opposed to "earning" their way in life. Some of us think this is not the kind of values that should be nutured, praised or awarded in our youth. Thats just some of us though.

To me, this lacksadasical attitude is what brought us to the point we are at in society where we have little control over children (due to poor parenting) and where things like 16 year olds toting guns to school is commonplace in the news. You are doing what you are doing because you can....not because it is right and now have Flash-Kit praising you for your effort. Hopefully, my 15 year old doesn't see you as a hero.

Now that Planet and other mods have put their "seal of approval" on your "fund drive" and it's presentation, few here will go against the grain. As a father, I don't have to agree for the sake of board politics and will instead look at it as "what if you were my minor child" and will comment as such.
    Here Here, I agree
    If you don't think you're going to like the answer, then don't ask the question.

On the upside, this new Flash-Kit trend may allow your follow-up website "www.fillmygastank.com" to become SOTD as well.

Or maybe even "www.ineedgroceries.com" or "www.paymyrent.com" for when you move out of your parents house (if and when you do).

EDIT: Now look what you started ;(

I really was amazed how ppl could judge the presentation whilst ignoring the content.
    And we were even called upon staying "lite" in discussion by a mod.

Thanks for your words, Chris.
    My letters on the F1 key have faded, how are yours today?

Official FK nice guy and MOD 3PRIMATES's Avatar
    Well Chris, I do agree on a few of your points, but in my opinion, and as a father also I believe you are being over critical. The relationship you make to guns in schools and a kid making a website to try and get donations is not fair, and a bit overboard.

People have a choice. They don't have to donate if they don't want to. Its not like hes saying, "give me your money or Ill take a gun to school and off my classmates".

Its an experiment in the generosity of others. In days gone by, people held their own by hard work. Credit and charity were not accepted freely because the morals were different. You got paid for a hard days work and were able to buy what you needed to survive. I loaf of bread was 12 cents, not $3.49. The price of commodities in relation to wage was much better and if you saved wisely you get get a new buggy or a horse.

Yes children in todays world are different. Don't blame bad parenting, blame the governments, advertisers and humanity in general.

Wars, sex in advertising, biased news programs, racism, holy wars. These are not the children's doing, this is the world that was created by our generation and our fathers generation. We have left a legacy of pain, pollution and a shattered economy for our children to wallow in. Wanting something for nothing is just a side affect of everything we as adults have done to make the world a really screwed up place.

I myself wonder if the reason the human race has yet to evolve past its petty small mindedness is because we try to hold on to the morals of our fathers. Propagating a system of thinking that didn't work in the first place.

Just think. Everyone has an account and when you get low on cash, someone comes by and says, "hey, this guy looks like he needs some help" and deposits some funds to help you survive. To me, giving something to someone without strings attached, just because they want to be kind is the first step in advancing humanity to its next level.

Now I kind of doubt that flouos was thinking this way, but so what. He wants a truck, puts up a site asking for help because at 16 is the US at least he cant get a job legally that will pay enough to even buy a lunch let alone a truck.

Thanks...

3P
    Last edited by 3PRIMATES; 02-04-2006 at 06:42 PM.

The relationship you make to guns in schools and a kid making a website to try and get donations is not fair, and a bit overboard
    Everything begins somewhere and ends somewhere 3P. What we teach our children shapes and molds them. We've just taught this kid a lesson he wont forget. If you feel good about it...thats your path bro. I'm welcome to mine.

If my kids turn out to be bad apples, I won't be blaming the government or advertisers or any other incorrect target. I will be blaming myself. Parenting starts at home.

Official FK nice guy and MOD 3PRIMATES's Avatar
    I agree, the parent is always responsible. But you have to remember, its not just the children that are affected by the world around us. We as adults/parents are also swayed by the world around us and our interaction with it. We do our best to give are children the tools they need to become productive(read:not serial killers) members of society. We can only protect them so much. If you allow your child out of the house then you have just allowed them to interact with policies that you do not agree with. If a child goes to school, then you now have a child that is being affected by the morality of other children, the morality passed to them by their parents. The problem with morality is the same as the problem with religion; my god is better than your god, so if you don't believe in my god I am going to kill you.

Morality is based on need.
    I am an upstanding guy. I do the best to pay the bills, I am a good father, I don't steal etc., but if I was thrown into a situation where I lost my home, and my family had nothing to eat, I would be the first on the street corner holding up a sign asking for something for nothing.
    If that didn't work, or I couldn't find a job or some kind of assistance, I would beg, borrow or steal to feed my wife and daughter. Thats the way it is.

Everyone has their view on morality. Its their right to choose and to agree or disagree. I do agree with you Chris, it does start with the parent and you have made some good points.

Although I have been posting in response, I really would like to keep this debate of morality out of this thread if we could.

I am not one for censorship. So if you would like to continue this friendly debate, feel free to private message me. Debates are a great way to learn and understand opposing views.

My...my...what did I start!
    What's that? You haven't seen my site yet?? Here you go - Click Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Seahorn

The arrogance in your post is overwhelming.

You are sitting here calling out a 16 year old kid who used his god given talents to put up a site to raise some money for a car. If you even read the site, you would find out that he isn't lazy, and is trying to earn a living. Both his parents are teachers, and the last time I checked, one of the most important jobs in the world today (shaping the brains of today's youth) gets paid like crap for the most part.

It's not as if this kid is just sitting back waiting for money to pile in. He is actually doing something about what he wants. He has a goal and he is putting his mind to it. I can't believe a parent like yourself would be calling a kid out like this.

And to even stoop down and make a parody of his site by writing something out on a piece of paper and have you kid hold it up is just disgusting. After reading your site you just plain make me sick man.

God forbid a kid actually have a goal in early in his life and put his mind to it.
    Last edited by darkpiece; 02-09-2006 at 03:18 AM.

I think the words "raise some money" and "earn" are misplaced, darkpiece.
    It might be stylish begging, but it is still begging...

But it is a good PR campagne to get a job at Benetton
    My letters on the F1 key have faded, how are yours today?

The arrogance in your post is overwhelming.
    Does this mean I'm off your Christmas list?

God forbid a kid actually have a goal in early in his life and put his mind to it.
    Great goals he's set there darkstar.

The next time a hari krishna approaches me for money in an airport, I'll try to remember they are just setting goals to achieve and not see it as begging for a handout. Probobly won't ultimately make me dig deep, but I will be aware of their side as I turn away.

Thanks for setting me straight.
    Last edited by Chris_Seahorn; 02-09-2006 at 10:46 AM.

I think alot of you guys are being over-critical of his morality. To me this seems as much of a portfolio builder as anything else. Were he to submit it along with some other work to a prominent design firm, I don't doubt that he could get a job there. That would be a way to earn some real money.

Now, if you read the little exerpt he has written for himself, it seems he is awfully busy. The kid maintains a 4.0GPA participates in nearly every sport conceivable, and still manages to throw together a site like this.

Does he seem the sort of kid that lacks any moral foundations? Personally, were I his father I would praise his creativity in achieving his goals. Sure he could go work at BK for $10 an hour (or whatever minimum wage is around there), but I don't feel like that would be a good use of his skills.

I say stick with what you're doing Trevor. Nice work, great site. Send an e-mail to Ford, they might just give you the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVulf
    Send an e-mail to Ford, they might just give you the truck.
    LOL, if that works, make sure you tell us Trevor. I will be doing the same.

Coming Sooooon!!!
    I hate spam in the [ Cool Sites ] Section.

Quote Originally Posted by rudolflai999
    LOL, if that works, make sure you tell us Trevor. I will be doing the same.
    I didn't mean just because he sent the e-mail... I meant because of the work he did with the site. Were I Ford, I would invest in his talents.

He is 16 (a year older then me) and is atheletic, smart, and awsome with flash... i hate him.
    This is our world now, the world of the electron and the switch. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCow237
    He is 16 (a year older then me) and is atheletic, smart, and awsome with flash... i hate him.
    Yea, he reminds me of myself, only a few years younger.

well i've seen more posts like this one....
    let me play the devils advocate....

it could be a smart way of getting more views then normal
    just by adding that a 16 old did it.....

ok i'm not saying that it isn't true just that it is irrelevant....

grtz
    Last edited by Hiperion; 02-26-2006 at 04:37 PM.

lets revolt