A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help! how to duplicate buttons?

Help! how to duplicate buttons?

I need four main links on the site, I want them all to act similar. the only difference is the text..
    How can I copy the one (guitarButton) button I got without modifying the original?.. (to four new instances)

I tried copy through the Library but it seems I have to copy more than one thing there and cut, paste and so on... is there an easier way or did i put everything a bit crazy..

please take a look at the fla and you see what I mean.. and maybe you could give me a suggestion..

/nic
    Attached Files Attached Files

It's a long way to the middle launchpad67's Avatar
    Your text in the buttons is a movie clip (music), shouldn't be. If you try to duplicate the buttons and change the text, it will change the original movie clip (music), you don't want this. Get rid of that movie clip for your text on the Guitar button, just use normal text for each button. You'll just have to change your up/over...states in the Guitar button, then you can Duplicate that button in the library and make as many as you want. Now all you have to do is change the text for each button.
    Understand this? Don't make the text a movie clip if you want to duplicate and change each buttons name/text.

I got rid of the text movie clip.. but... anyway I tried copy the button (guitarButton) in the library but it only copies the button and nothing else.. do I have to copy everything that is related to the guitar button.. :S

what is it that I need to copy that really makes a complete new button from the library. I don't quite get this.. :|

thanks for any help!
    /nic

You copy the Button itself from the library. Right click on the Guitar Button in the library and select Duplicate. Now name the new button something other than 'guitar button copy'. Remember, you still have to change the text in each button that you duplicate, but if you designed your buttons correctly, or at least in a way where you can share the items in them, you shouldn't have to change anything else but the text layer and keyframes of each button.
    Make sense now?

In other words, if you use any movie clips or graphics in a button, and you want to duplicate that button, those mc's and graphics should be 'common'; meaning you can use them as-is for each button. If you have to edit mc's and graphics for your buttons, you're going about this the long way! make it easy on yourself.
    Last edited by launchpad67; 01-31-2006 at 07:07 PM.

I duplicated the button in the library and named it musicButton (one of the next links) and I when I doubleclick that copy I can see it's identical to the guitarButton, it seems like it has all components and I can change the text inside it on all states. but the only problem is it doesn't seem to be available to the scene.. I thought if I duplicate it in the library it would come available to put in place in the scene.. how do I get the duplicated button into the scene..

anyway It seems like i designed everything the easy way. so It should work to do the way you said.

/nic

Just because you duplicate a button in the library doesn't mean it automatically moves to the stage. You still have to drag the button out of the library to the stage and place it where you need it.