A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Martial Arts Site (in progress)

Martial Arts Site (in progress)

Hey guys, I've been working on this design for a while and I need some feedback. It's not fully ready yet. Still need to render out some more 3D to create some interaction with the 3D dude and maybe some different moves for each chapter of the site. Plus all the forms aren't in yet and I have to redo the tentacles on the right.

Anyhow, let me know what you think and what might be done better.

Here's the site...

WWW.thedose.dk/ema
    sex, drugs and actionscript...
    What more do you need?

www.thedose.dk

Interesting site, you ahve a lot of tricks and effects. I like the texture of the ripped paper, the splatter is ok, and the flares on the right are cool too. I think making a slightly more complex animation on that lower one would help a lot. I would also be interested in seeing a more interesting border around those 4 images that move to your mouse....it would match the rest of your site. What do they do? I am not feeling the blue flames on the bottom, it makes me think of muscle cars and trucks too much. Your menu and logo look good with all the effects, but they don't seem to match the rest of your site. I am not feeling the pixelated menu titles "the gym, the coaches" ect. It reminds me of NES. Good luck

your color choices are nice and the layout looks good.
    dont know what your square pics are supposed to do...nothing happening upon click.
    the animated guy is cool but could use some more work in him being more fluid in motion...catlike or warrior.
    looks good so far though.
    Committed to excellence through art.
    DarkEdgeDesign

ya the four pics will open up 4 html image galleries, don't have any pics for the galleries from the client yet so haven't started working on them yet. As for the tentacles, yes they need work, I only did the bottom one as a test. I had 3-4 different ways of doing it, this was the quickest one but least acurate, so I'll do a more timeconsuming but accurate one for both of them later on and more fluid.
    As for the 3D guy, I'm gonna render out some sequences to make him dodge the mouse cursor, maybe do some cool moves on chapter switches and stuff.
    As for the blue flames, well they're sort of a trademark of the wouldbe-siteowner. So they have to stay. Plus I think they look spiffy
    What more do you need?

www.thedose.dk

Ps. As for the NES comment, that was sort of the whole idea behind the site. Technology meets Retro. Hence the gadgety menu and soundpanel vs. the old torn paper. As per the clients request. Gotta do what you're payd to do man. I didn't like it much at first, was going for a whole different look, more zen and spiritual but this has grown on me nicely.
    What more do you need?

www.thedose.dk

sounds good then. I really like the idea of the guy dodging the mouse too, I am excited to play with that when its all done

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    This has a lot of personality. I really enjoy the whole presentation and if I had to nit pick I would:

1. Drop the font for the section headers (Black with white borders). They seem like oversized commodore 64 titles or similar. (or maybe just slim the width of the border?)

2. The baby blue menu titles with the rays of light should either use contrasting colors or maybe something other than baby blue if the same. They look fine until the ray of light shines on mouseover and makes what should be a cool effect seem like a blurred one against that pale blue. To me, with a little tweaking that upper area could be as eye catching as the animated stances just by getting that ray of light just so.

and that would really be stretching it for complaining

I have to admit....you Martial Arts webbers really have a knack. This is the second or third I've seen posted and all of them so far have always had me leaving pleased. Nice job!

Thanks for the complement dude. I'll See about those NES fonts and change them out. I'll also see if I can change those lighting effects on the menu links, but I'm dreadding it, that took a while to do.
    As for now, it's friday noon and I'm off to get drunk. Later peeps.
    What more do you need?

www.thedose.dk