A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243 LastLast

Thread: Rollcanvas III: Discussion Thread

Natsia:
    Really nice start to this thing. Fantastic artistic eye, the way you drew those shoes up was really great. I'm impressed by this piece. I like the barbed wire, and I like the fact that the shoe looks like the blood is flowing around it. One minor minor thing is that if you look around the edge of the pool of blood, you can see the reflection on the edges which you did perfectly. Now, the shoe was in the pool of blood, which would create new edges that could need a reflection.

RushVision:
    Nice clean transition. Nice image all around, but not too much to comment on. I like the artistic masks in the background, and I like that you didn't use the diags over the entire image (they are faded around the black line).

Silver:
    Nice image all around, and nice concept with the painter. Unfortunately, I'm a little upset with the transition, as it seems like it was a little cheated on the black line since it is missing the scanlines.

Onine:
    Flawless transition. Simply stunning volley, excellent composition. Fantastic all around. I can't find anything wrong with this volley.

EVP:
    Nice volley, a little dark, but nice. Great transition, but I think the colour might be off slightly. I'm not sure why these things always seem to happen, but I know it isn't your fault. Sweet volley man.

Flashpenguin:
    I really like this volley, I like the colour mix and I like the composition. I'm not a huge fan of the transition style on this one, as it doesn't seem to really fit with what we were going for with this rollcanvas (the seamless without breaks).

Mrkvale:
    Wow, really nice transition. Excellent volley with this. I wasn't sure what to expect from you, but you've definately exceeded my expectations. A little dark, but I really like the composition.

God:
    Wow... I don't even know what to say. Your transition is flawless as always. Your composition is top notch. The use of colour is perfect. Very surreal volley, I love it.

Flashlight:
    Awesome transition, this one definately flowed. This was by far the hardest transition, yet you managed to take care of it with ease. Really nice colours, and I'm impressed by the typography.

Dave-O:
    You surprised me with this one. A little easy on the transition, but the composition, imaging, and everything else is top notch. Nice typography on this one for sure.

JWin:
    I'm feeling the same continuing thing with these transitions. They work out, but I think they break continuity a little bit. I like the use of the little pictures alot, it looks really good. I'm just not sure about the typography on this one, the stoke looks a little strong.

Pea3698:
    The colour seems a little off on your volley, but otherwise the transition worked nicely. I don't really want to comment further on this volley other than to say that it was tough to follow .

DaVuLf:
    Terrible image man, the transition doesn't really flow at all. I can see that you tried, but it didn't work out very well. I like the image of Tara Reid, that's pretty hot, but the image doesn't have much going on. Nice use of the FK 'F'.

Admedia:
    Sweet transition man, I'm glad you could follow the scanlines I left you with. Great continuity and nice volley. I really love the snake, I think that is top notch attention to detail with the barbed wire into the ground and the snake coming out. Nice bible scene too.

Creativeinsomnia:
    Really nice volley. I love the transition on this one, and I really like the right side of your volley. I especially love the stock you used, I've had that one sitting around on the PC for a while but I couldn't see where to put it. You've definately found the spot for it.

Gerbick:
    Not your traditional style, but I really like it anyways. I like the typography on the 'Rollcanvas 3', but I'm not too sure about the rest of the typography in the image. I know I can't do any better, but I'm just not sure about that. Love the girl, subtle scanlines, and composition though.

Squidlips:I like the transition on this one, and I like the way you re-used the girl from Gerbick's volley. I'm a little bit confused by the rest of the volley, but it definately looks nice.

Ghostgirl:
    I like the change better . Nice transition, it really flows on this one. A few fringe pixels on the girl, but I like the composition. Nice volley for sure.

Happy Pixel:
    Nice transition, but I can't help but feel that it breaks continuity. I like that you used a bee because of the honeycomb, but I'm just not feeling this volley. Sorry man.

Zacaboo288:
    Really nice transition and continuity. I like the composition and the image, excellent work on this one.

NepZap:
    I.. Love.. This.. One.. Great transition, composition, imagery.. Great stuff. The only thing I'm not liking so much is the green legs on the one girl. Awesome work all around.

Noiselab:
    Transition... Like the composition, stock, typography. Nice work on this one, but I don't like the break in continuity. You can clearly see the line.

Lefteye:
    Nice transition and image. Dark images all around this time it seems like. I like the typography, Nat's element, and the alcohol.

Carly1979:
    Colour is a little off on the transition, but the volley is pretty good.

Pointguard:
    Colour is off on the transition, but that may be due to the previous volley. I really like the stock and composition of this one. It looks really surreal and just all around nice. Nice typography as well.

Nordberg:
    Excellent volley man, I really love the transition. Not your usual style, but it works out nicely. I like the stock too, good stuff.

Dricciotti:
    Nice transition, Frankenmoderator. I like the abstractness of this volley. Good work man.

TheWaste:
    Fantastic transition. You really maintained the continuity on this one. I like the composition, colours and typography as well. I really liked this volley.

Mr_Malee:
    Good transition. What really makes this image stand out is the eye. I can't remember where I saw that from (Stealth?) but it really is fantastic. I love the concept. Nice work with the apple too . Great way to finish this one off Malee.

very impressive yall..
    nordberg's transition was one of the best imo
    ctranter's image was mindblowing
    the subtle in and out of the barbed wire was fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by nepzap2
    These images are so fresh they are off the meat rack!!!

The caliber of amages is amazing. Speechless! I'll comment on these when my mind finishes absorbing.

One thing though, why do a lot of these images seem to be off on the transition color, I could have sworn I used the ink drop tool to aquaire the right color/colors. I even have the image blended in perfectly with Zac's image at home. I will post it so you guys can see it later. Does this have to do with CMYK or RGB settings?

Anyways... I thought that was odd.
    Yes Camilo (sp?), I feel you. I spent about half as much time on the perfect stitch as much as I spent on the whole image and it's still a little rough. I think the whole RollCanvas is still pretty tight but I'll admit, I'm a little disappointed. I wouldn't have even minded a little bit of blending on Waste's part for the sake of RCIII but I am definitely not complaining! This was a lot of fun and I promise I will repost with a deeper critique when I'm not such a drunakrd.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacaboo288
    I wouldn't have even minded a little bit of blending on Waste's part for the sake of RCIII but I am definitely not complaining!
    ARE YOU KIDDING?! The whole point of the RC is for YOU to blend it seemlessly. Not to mention thewaste is really busy and has allready sacrificed a lot of time organizing and putting it all together. I know it would take me like 10 hours at least blending them together seamlessly, AT LEAST. I'm sure the waste could do it faster but still it would take way too long. I spent probably 3-4 hours alone on figuring out how to blend mine so it would be seamless.

TheWaste all of us really appreciate the time and effort you've put into this project. LONG LIVE RC3!

You know you're completely right, and I am happy with my blending. And as I mentioned, I can not complain because the truth is that Waste deserves all the credit in the FK world for organizing this entire project for us. I did not intend to sound quite as negative as I might have come off so please regard my words in this post after reading my previous one.... Waste, thank you SO much for giving me something to think hard and work hard for... this is project is opening doors for me as we speak. Great job and congratulations to all who submitted for creating such beautiful work and contributing to an overall amazing presentation. This was a lot of fun!

I don't think the job of blending the images is thewaste's job. That is our job. I don't know why the images seem to be a little off and in some areas you can tell they are off. But again I stress this...

DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH THE CMYK OR RGB SETTINGS?

waste you're the man.... many thanks for your hard work and dedication.

I have a question to add once again to nepzaps question. Nepzap good call im now checking those settings. So simple, so basic, should have checked it.

But my question is. If I get mine to blend correctly will it mess up davulfs volley. If it is i'll just leave mine be. It was my mistake, might as well make mine look crappy not the person that built off mine.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

Also in my defence. That images lightness vs darkness looks nothing like anything that I have. I really wish I knew what I did to screw things up.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

Ive noticed the problem working with pngs ends up being color profiles (particularly between versions of PS). I dont think its a cmyk issue or it would look a lot different.

SAMedia Blog (general bs) :: jwinmedia (my music site)
    "Think of an advertisement where the product you're marketing is Jesus!"
    -From a work for hire ad

...dishing dimes on an .fla! pointguard's Avatar
    Everyone's volleys look great!
    Nice work everyone...Thanks Waste for organising it, and MrkVavle for hosting.......
    My fave volleys are Ctranter, Lefteye, Nordberg, Dri, and the Waste...

Top marks for everyone, (*except mine............pooey!)

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Submissions thread has been unstickied.

Link

holy crap this thing is huge!!!

great job everyone, some really amazing work in there, some really amazing transitions (what i struggled the most with), it's so much to look at, really going to kill time at work

Hey guys ! WOW just WOW, this is FANTASTIC ! Everyone did a hell of a job, even if the breaks are visible, this is still VERY IMPRESSIVE work. Waste you are a monster ! Great job on organizing this event, and having the patience and time to run this event. Also big thanks to everyone that was involved in helping this thing run smoothly. The volley's are fantastic, I think everyone truly put their best into this, and the results are very impressive.

Also big thanks to everyone that has mentioned my name, I was really sceptical about my volley, this was my first time in RC, and I'm glad I didn't bomb my turn. Nordberg, EVP, and everyone else, thanks for your comments !

Once again great job everyone, fantastic volleys, this is truly a piece of art.

Now maybe I will finally revive the dropCanvas haha.

Adios ! Arevoir ! Aloha ! Auf Wiedersehen ! Do Svidaniya ! Ma As-Salaamah ! Dovidjenja ! Joi Gin ! Lear Heouy !

Amazing synchronicity here...

Natsia -> RUSH it's that same silky smoothness on the black... I just love that opener Natsia... so cool.

Silver's transition idea is brilliant, love that one... great color...
    Onine is brilliant per usual... i would love to see what he does with these awsome illustrations he makes here in Flash.

EVP Just wicked cool... i love that style ... love the image!

I like how you closed out EVP's leave FlashPeguin,
    Mrkvalve that is some very nice texture, all around great image.

CT, that is soo cool... some snake forshadowing going on ... love that image, consistently amazing art from you.

Flashlight that is very cool how you created that transition, repeated the edge and then transformed it. Nice process, beautiful color.

DAVE-O - supercoolness. Great Fonts! and image.

JWIN - great stuff from you again. love the wood texture and the photo idea / transition... thanks for sneaking razorwire back through

Pea, I just love that gooeyness at the end of your image leave.

WULF, that's hot... great idea on the white on black, thanks for the killer leave... i loved working with that texture you created.

CI, good stuff,...'Watching over you'... that theme somhow is consitent with my image. Love the colors in there... the shadow on the orange... and the way you bring fade it all back down.

Gerbick - that image is hot. that pose is sexy as hell. you definitely got sexy down. something about the subtle shadow above her head making it all seem like she is backed right up to the canvas... hotness.

Squid - love thee style. Clean image.

GG, that chick, her pose... the whole image, it's so much attitude. Just love it!

... I will try an comment on the rest later ... whew

Quote Originally Posted by admedia
    WULF, that's hot... great idea on the white on black, thanks for the killer leave... i loved working with that texture you created.
    Thanks man, I'm glad you could manage .

Hey everyone... sorry ive been away for a few days. as everyone already knows by now, i was busy

I wanna thank everyone for putting up comments on everyones volleys, but I really would like to see the gloves come off for a bit of friendly crit.

With the image blend problems; im aware that im sure all of you followed the image linking perfectly, and it shows in the volleys. but I think the PNG format here is the problem. its evident in Malees pixeltown that a lot of submissions had an altered color profile. I think we narrowed it down to one or two problems.

The first is that if you right click on an image in your browser and select copy, and then paste it straight into photoshop, some of the data is lost in the process. the likely solution is to right click on the image and save image as, and then open it straight into photoshop.

The second is that (as said) different versions of photoshop likely save png files with different profiles. To help this problem in the future, I want everyone to write what version of photoshop they are using. If theres a trend of a certain version of PS not blending properly, we may have just solved the mystery. My version is Photoshop 7.

To address the concerns that it was my job to manage the pixel mismatching, it wasnt. but at the same time it wasnt anyones fault that it occured. nobody knows why the png color mystery occurs, but it certainly isnt my job to modify everyones work to make it blend properly. The only person im allowing to resubmit a volley is the submitter him/herself.

People have also been saying that if they re-submit, it will mess up the other persons image... but you dont have to do that. If you modify your own image to blend with the other persons, and then gently transist the fixed colors, to the old colors, then the blend will become seemless, and you didnt have to touch the other persons image.

So again; nobody 'screwed it up', and i know that everyones volleys appeared fine when they were blending it. Its just that photoshop has saved it with an altered color profile.

Thank everyone for a great rollcanvas. Also, show some big love for mkV for him hosting this thang on his completely badassed server, and thanks to lefty for giving me some major help when i got too busy to check the flashkit forums. You did a great job of orginizing man...

If anyone who wishes to re-submit, could send their image to mkV, and if you ask him nicely enough I'm sure he'll upload it for you. Once I'm satisfied that no one else is re-submitting, ill make all the changes to the flash version.

Next year, it's gonna be dynamic as hell, so all of the images will be run off an xml and load while you view the canvas. should be shiny

Also next year, I think we'll do it as jpg again, to avoid this unreliable png format. Or maybe even flattened psd format? (PNG, I used to love you, but you stabbed me in the back... now its over between us. pack up your crap, and get the hell off my computer...).
    Last edited by TheWaste; 04-15-2006 at 02:15 AM.
    "Good lord, you're wasting thousands of dollars worth of Interferon!"
    "... and you're Interferon with our good time!"

Aww I hate it when love affairs go sour...
    *hands you tissues and a box of chocolate*
    There there.

Quote Originally Posted by Natsia
    Aww I hate it when love affairs go sour...
    *hands you tissues*
    If the love affair is over, I guess he will need tissues from now on.

Thanks again Waste, awesome work man.

Ew.

Yeah Waste awesome job. Great RC Viewer by the way, I loved it. In regards to gloves coming off, well some people are mentioning bad transitions and visible breaks, when ( on my screen anyway ) their own volleys break the continuity VERY visibly.