A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [alpha] Lordrakes

Quote Originally Posted by luxregina
    ... you should wait that the new, complete version is online ...don't waste your time on the old 2K ...
    What?! :O

I found a bug, a thief in the map north of Tiqvah Inn was stuck on a tree. He was pushed down to the ground when I reentered though.
    Love the game
    Last edited by Kianis; 02-05-2006 at 02:52 PM.
    // Mazapán, my portfolio

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback.

Helmsman: The bulk of the story is yet to be integrated. Once it's done you'll have to play to find it out.

This project has evolved many times and I've restarted it from scratch about 3 times. I first started the rpg about 4-5 years ago, but version you see is probably only a year or two old, although most of that time was spent on other things. The bulk of the actual development time was learning and figuring out the best ways to go about certain things, so if I were to restart again, I could do it much quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by random10122
    Are all the graphics your own? As they are excellent...
    Yes they are. (Lux drew one of the friendly chaps in the pub, that's kinda obvious though) Cheers

Yeah, I tried to make the gui as user-friendly as possible - and eliminating the need for the keyboard makes the gameplay flow much better. I also tried everything possible to make the maps flow together nicely so the abrupt map download/change doesn't put you out of action...

And yeah, changing the amount of tiles would mean redoing the whole interface.

Quote Originally Posted by Kianis
    I found a bug, a thief in the map north of Tiqvah Inn was stuck on a tree. He was pushed down to the ground when I reentered though.
    I've never seen this bug, hopefully I'll get rid of it when I review the enemy ai.
    Lordrakes Alpha - My Flash RPG.

Amazing game Ifritt! So well polished

You mentioned that a lot of the sounds are from Warcraft II & III. Are you at risk of copyright infringement there? I only ask because I made an animation a while ago and used sounds from Unreal Tournament. I was contacted by people from Epic and asked to remove it from my site and any others I knew that had it. I then see a high possibility of that happening with you.

One thing though, I did have a "Copyright 2003 By Simon Stenhouse" message along the bottom of the running animation so I'm not sure if that's what they had the problem with. I mean, if I didn't have that, could they have touched me? I guess if I was making money!

You know I've never really thought about it. The game is still in alpha status and the soundfx are temporary. Although I suppose I am already infringing copyright laws

Ideally I would like to record my own sound fx, but I don't have the facilities to do a good enough job. Do you know of any free sound banks on the internet I could check out?

When you are planning to complete the game?

Nah, I'm afraid I don't know of any good free sound libraries. For the platformer game I'm making right now, I plan to purchase royalty free sounds from Sound Rangers. For that site, once you've bought the license for a particular sound, you can use the sound in as many projects as you'd like (commercial projects included) without having to renew. It's probably going to cost me a pretty penny for all the ones I'll be needing but hopefully it'll be worth it and I'll make something back!

I have no idea >.<

-_-
    wow! better than runescape!

Quote Originally Posted by StenFLASH
    I plan to purchase royalty free sounds from Sound Rangers.
    That'd be a good idea. Although I don't plan to make any money with this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Adobemedia
    wow! better than runescape!

Looking really awesome, love the graphics, keep up the good work!

Ifritt, excellent work so far - you definitely have something great going here.

I rarely play these types of games but I found myself playing it for about an hour this morning

I did not notice any gameplay bugs, but I did experience some oddness with game saving/loading in Firefox. I am using flash player 8.5. Playing and saving worked fine, but if I tried to load the game it would crash firefox in a big way every time. The bad thing is that it looks like the game tries to load data when the game loads because once I got firefox restarted and went back to the game it crashed again straight away.

The saving and loading appears to work fine in IE though. However, I could not hear any game sounds, only the ambient music whereas with FF I could not hear the music, only the game sounds.

Also, I have to say that fighting is frustrating right now. There has to be a better way. Perhaps have a keyboard shortcut for attack? That way you are not clicking the mouse every time you want to swing your sword. Its just hard to keep clicking the enemy and you end up running all around him while he pummels you... stinking thugs.
    Last edited by leason; 02-06-2006 at 09:19 AM. Reason: adding another note...
    pnFlashGames.com
    share your games with thousands
    MediaProtect.org - Helping you protect your work (In Development)

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownGuy
    Looking really awesome, love the graphics, keep up the good work!
    Thanx

Hey leason, great feedback - thanks
    The save/load functions are very buggy at the moment. It does not save quest data properly and it will probably screw up other things too. I'm actually tempted to remove it 'cos many people have sharedObjects disabled anyways. (Perhaps even put in a server based save/load like 2K)

I'm surprised you could not hear the sounds in IE?? That's an odd one.

Yeah I've gotta do something about that fighting, it's the timing of the enemy's pathfinding - it's terrible atm. I'm thinking of making the hero continually attack an enemy until victory/retreat/death. (Tonypas suggestion) I'm wondering if this will be an effective solution or the player will just chase the enemy around in circles as they try and target eachother too late :P

Hope you enjoyed playing it.

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    The reason why I think those games have a future, even compared to full blown 3D RPG, is the convenience of having a game you can play anywhere, on any computer : you can start a game at home, continue it a bit at work, then finish it back home : that's why I fully support online saved games : you can access your current game status from anywhere that's just my take on it though

The downside is that it requiers an account : earlier in the thread, someone said he didn't played 2K because of this, eventhough it's not mandatory, so I guess that a save system that requiers signup, would be a questionnable pick too

To answer Kianis, there is a new, quite different version of 2K on the way, but there will be quite some time before I post something "official" here, and this thread is dedicated to Lordrakes anyway

You could always implement a system, that when the player wishes to exit or save they could create an account/log in right there, thus not scaring them off since they have already played your great game for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifritt
    Yeah I've gotta do something about that fighting, it's the timing of the enemy's pathfinding - it's terrible atm. I'm thinking of making the hero continually attack an enemy until victory/retreat/death. (Tonypas suggestion) I'm wondering if this will be an effective solution or the player will just chase the enemy around in circles as they try and target eachother too late :P
    Enjoying it big time, every aspect of it, but yeah I think the fighting is a lil bit confusing like this - too shaky.

A possibility could be to have the player choosing a default attitude mode where the hero will be in "attack the closest around" mode or "avoid the trouble" mode.

could get tired of clicking to fight.

Mmmh! Arent we a lil bit lazy warriors here?

here's my crash to it but will try again later and again...
    Dunno how to put the pic in here so it's attached
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hope nobody knows I am still on Flash 5

better than chuck norris
    it looks too good to be a flash game. the awesome graphics are so good it doesn't seem like a nintendo game, either. you have mad skills, bro. almost as good as chuck norris'.

One save/load idea I had was to give the player a unique username (eg Jonas1234) and random password once they reached a certain level (eg 4 or 5) or maybe as a reward for a quest or something. So once they had a character worth keeping they could continue it somewhere else. Hopefully that would prevent lots of people making unused accounts.

You could also generate save string and let the user copy/paste it or send it to their mail so they can copy/paste it later. Of course it cant be too long...

It'd probably be too long, once I've saved all of the characters stats/location/items/quest data/enemies killed etc... It'd be enormous. :S Easy to cheat aswell, by cracking the encryption.

Quote Originally Posted by tonypa
    You could also generate save string and let the user copy/paste it or send it to their mail so they can copy/paste it later. Of course it cant be too long...
    It can give opportunity to cheat the game and you must think on some encryption/ decryption mechanism to prevent it
    But anyway its a good idea and I thought of this too, just because of the reason that sometime server fails to save data or have a long response time and player fail to save his progress.