A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats Best program to creat 3d Rendering?

Whats Best program to creat 3d Rendering?

Hey can i get some links to the best 3d software on the net it has to have a trial so i can see if i liek it thanks it would e alot of help

This has been asked tons before in the past. A quick search for 3D and Flash would have brought up a lot of hits.

But with you not specifying your budget, level of interest and ability, as well as 3D aptitude... I'll just run down the popular options.

Erain Swift3D 4.5 Standalone - at 189.00 USD, it's inexpensive, outputs the smallest *.swf's, as well as output *.flv, *.mov, *.avi's as well. Modelling is done via primitives and no a newly added - as of version 4.0 - Advanced Modeler that allows for vertex manipulation of polygons. Think sub-divide, push, sub-divide, push, repeat. A popular polygonal method of creating objects. But with three sided polys, not quads... that's a problem to some... myself included at times.

Strata 3D CX 4.2 - at 695.00 USD, it's a bit more pricey, but its odd interface is what turned me off. It's a typical 3D modeler - with an awesome bitmap renderer and licenses the Erain vector renderer via plug-in. I've used prior versions - up to 3.9 actually, the new additions to 4.x have added to the workflow that might make it a worthy addition yet again.

Alias Maya 7.0 - at about 1999.99 USD and 6999.99 USD (Maya Unleashed 7), this is a complete, industrial strength application used from everything from movies to product development and points in-between. Mostly nurb based, this bad boy renders to *.swf via the embedded licensed vector 3D renderer licensed from... Erain.

Autodesk/Discreet 3ds Max 8.0 - at about 3500.00 USD, this 3D package does it all. But render to *.swf from out of the box. Industrial strength application, but you'll need plug-ins... look below for the most popular ones...

Erain Swift3D 3ds Max v3 Plug-in - this 295.00 USD plug-in allows you to work solely within 3ds max, and then render out vector and bitmap animations out to *.swf without leaving the 3ds max interface.

Illustrate! 3ds max plug-in - yet another 3ds max plug-in, but this 395.00 plug-in (finally one not made by Erain) allows for a wide range of rendering styles - not like the other ones do not - but seems to output slightly larger *.swf files from the other renderers listed above.

Cebas Finaltoon - a 495.00 USD plug-in for 3ds max that's had my attention for a long time... mostly does non-photorealistic renders, which means toons, flat shaders, anime style shading... you name it. You'll need 3ds max, per usual.

Maxon Cinema 4D r9.0 - starting at 695.00 USD, this application is a standalone 3D application... much like 3ds max. This application though, very quick to pick up, very good built-in renderer, even better add-on renderers that can be purchased - this program has a modular design where you can just add functionality as you need it by buying new modules.

You will need the Sketch and Toon plug-in for this application to render to *.swf. This one will cost you 495 USD.

Other than that... there's Softimage XSI, as well as Newtek Lightwave 3D 8 - and there's an Erain plug-in for it as well.

Again, a quick search, or just looking below such as this thread, and you'd seen that this has been answered recently.

Also, don't forget Blender and even POV-Ray.

Hope the information helps though

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Thanks alot lol i forgot about this post and came across it again i wish user cp would show all the post you started lol but its late i gtg to bed lol but ill check up on it tomorow thanks alot looks like alot of stuff to look at

At the moment the two best rendering programs is Maya and Lightwave. Unless you work at Pixar and have acces to RenderMan. Cinema may also be okay, but I haven't researched it. But seeing as AutoDesk bought Maya, the new 3D Max/Maya not sure what they'll call it should be pretty good.

At the moment the two best rendering programs is Maya and Lightwave. Unless you work at Pixar and have acces to RenderMan. Cinema may also be okay, but I haven't researched it. But seeing as AutoDesk bought Maya, the new 3D Max/Maya not sure what they'll call it should be pretty goo
    No no, the best are maya and 3ds max.

Sure 3D Max is a great modeling tool, but when it comes to rendering its alittle slow. Just look at all the big name 3D effect studios. When they make things they always model in Max, then they import that into Lightwave(it's much easier to apply textures and lightning effects), then they either render in Lightwave or in Maya. Max is just a general 3D when it comes to rendering, but with modeling and animation it's pretty high up there.

lol im at school right now so i cant acess any of these pages lol but once i get home ill look into it wow im really excited to learn some 3d stuff do all of these programs have trials because i have to try it and see if i like it before i buy it i only have like 200 bucks that iv been saving up im only 15 lol so ill probibly have to save up for a wile my b day is comming up soon so maybe i can get my mom to help me out kinda broke tho but do all these programs have trials?

I know that 3D Max has a 30day trial I'm not too sure about the others. But I'd image so.

Almost all of the programs I listed do have a 30 day trial, if not freeware/limited use version.

As far as "best renderer", I tend to like Mental Ray for Maya or 3ds max, Brazil for 3ds max, and there's so many other rendering engines that are out there. btw... Renderman is available for purchase for people outside of Pixar. But it's power is in the shader technology and how it's shaders can be altered and written in code.

Sweet, you can get Renderman. It's probalby a butt load of money though.

Renderman for Maya is about 995 USD.

995 Dollars? How can anyone afford that?
    Oh yeah, if you dont have any money to spend, get Gmax. Its the small of 3ds max, and its free ( i think)
    Of course, they wouldnt cut the price down by 3000 without limitations. But, I dont know what they are...

I'm your boogie man!
    learn Blender + Yafray, and you'll rule the world
    -> web || blog <-

$995, well I guess compared to Maya, Max and a few others thats pretty cheap. I kinda want to wait to see what AutoDesk makes with the new Alias tools they got. It should be pretty SWEET what they make.

Quote Originally Posted by corky§urprise
    995 Dollars? How can anyone afford that?
    Oh yeah, if you dont have any money to spend, get Gmax. Its the small of 3ds max, and its free ( i think)
    Of course, they wouldnt cut the price down by 3000 without limitations. But, I dont know what they are...
    You afford it when you have clients and a need for that program. Buying expensive programs isn't for hobbyists, that's why gMax - without a renderer - exists.

ya im not to good with 3d stuff so i really want to get one of these programs im at school right now gana get in trouble lol

It takes time, tutorials, and patience.

Also, instruction is also good. Read a lot.

And if you're starting out, look at Alias Maya Personal Learning Edition (PLE) and Autodesk gMax for learning the tools. Both are free, both are just like the pay for versions. Buy when you need to, or can.

And never steal.

Also as with what gerbick said, try not to go to ahead of your self. Try to start with the very basic tutorials like making a box and modifying it.

Yes...never steal, you'll get your ass sued. Big time

can i get a link to the maya site so i can check it out n download trial