A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Cable release

Cable release

My camera doesn't have a cable release socket, so exposures over 2 seconds long end up looking like crap because I have to take them in bulb mode while keeping the button pressed down with my finger.

I found this Kaiser Strap-on Cable Release Adapter For Point and Shoot Cameras Without A Threaded Shutter Release Socket. Has anyone used this kind of adapter? It seems a little gimmicky to me, I don't know if it will work. I'd like some opinions on this.

Any other suggestions on taking pictures in bulb mode without a cable release are welcome to...

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    What kind of camera do you have? Can you get a remote for it?

That thing is $35.00 for a freakin' velcro strap!!!

Olympus OM101. Nope, no remote available. And that's exactly what I was thinking, 35 bucks for a piece of velcro. Still looking for alternatives, though. Maybe I can build something like this, but without the whole mess of clay.

If you have somewhere to rest the camera you could set it to timer - so you're no touching the shutter button when the shutter is released.

That strap thing looks

I built a remote enclosure for my brothers little digi cam using my lego mindstorm stuff, I programmed it so that when the lego infra-red sensor beam was broken it pressed down on the shutter. Perhaps you could do something similar? But I doubt you are that cool.

ctranter... I'm definitely not that cool since the solution I'm thinking involves rubber bands instead of legos

If I use the timer as littleMatt suggested, I have 10 seconds to press the shutter down with the rubber bands. After the exposure is done, I quickly cover the lens with a black cardboard and remove the rubber bands. What do you think?

*froogles lego mindstorm just in case*

Not trying to be a smartass or anything, but I think that $35 strap is probably more than what the Olympus OM101 is selling for now on eBay. Any reason why you couldn't just upgrade the body itself to a different, older Olympus body that will still take your lenses, but has a cable release socket?

I would stay away from that strap though. Looks like you would probably get more camera shake just trying to get that thing locked down correctly than if you just held it down yourself.

I'm getting a new camera in a few months, this is just something to keep me busy in the meantime.