A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: :thumbsdown:

:thumbsdown:

I don't want to put a downer on this forum after hearing that Wannabe is finally getting his 20D but I need to ramble on about something for a minute

I currently study Computer Arts at Abertay, Dundee and while it is a good course, it revolves around games a little too much for my liking. It feels like imagery is simply an afterthought to gameplay, I am not into games at all and imagery is my passion so I feel I need to look for another course.

Here's where my problem starts... in Scotland you get funding for 4 years, I have studied 2 at my current Uni. I can apply for direct entry in second year studying Photography at Edinburgh College of Art which would mean another 3 years studying, but only another 2 years funding.

I was hoping to simply save and pay for my final year on my own but I found out today that they will only fund me for the 3rd and 4th years.

And I can't afford to fund myself next year...

Doesn't it make more sense to give me the two years funding NOW?! Nooooooooooo

So i'm ****ed!
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

Yeah it's silly. You'll just have to get a student loan like the many other thousands.

Be grateful they've given you some funding though, I'm hoping to start university in September where I shall be charged £3,000 a year for three years. All right, I don't have to pay it until I leave, but I still have to pay it one day.

Quote Originally Posted by asheep_uk
    You'll just have to get a student loan like the many other thousands.
    I get a couple of grand on loan from SAAS on top of getting my fees paid, I won't get that either next year.

Is that the sort of loan you're talking about?

No, in England we don't pay our tuition fees now until we leave university and earn over £15,000 a year. So all you have to pay for is your living expenses. Just makes things a bit easier.

Companies like HSBC and NatWest will give you a student loan, one they don't charge any interest on until you leave education and earn over £15,000 a year.
    http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/c...tudent-service
    £1,000 overdraft too.

Companies like HSBC and NatWest will give you a student loan, one they don't charge any interest on until you leave education and earn over £15,000 a year.
    http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/c...tudent-service
    £1,000 overdraft too.
    Cheers sheepy, i'll look into that... I know there are ways around this, it's just hit me hard and put me on a downer

I'll keep ye all posted

I am in my second year and have ATLEAST 2-3 to go...and am in debt up to my eye balls...but not as bad as some I know and don't have to pay it back till I am out of school so I am not worrying yet

The trick is to major in EVERYTHING possible and take JUST enough classes to be a "student" your whole life and NEVER pay anything back
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Yep, if you don't earn over £15,000 a year for 25 years, the government will write off your loan for you.

Yep, if you don't earn over £15,000 a year for 25 years, the government will write off your loan for you.
    Go to school and then be a buuum! or only claim less then the 15,000 and work under the table for the rest of your life...they will never find you
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

It did occur to me that if you won the lottery or something, and you did a Steve Jobs-stylie getting paid $1 a year by your company, you could get the government to pay for it, even though you had several million in the bank.

haha

yeah, i work at a uni, and when people graduate and start working as interns at the uni, they always make sure they are paid just under £15k.

Nikonist
    Here in Germany you get supported by the government depending on the income of your parents...the less they have the more you get.
    But! you have to pay it ALL back after you finished your studies!
    There is no way to be a lifetime student here !
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de