A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Almost Complete] - Hearts (Happy V-Day!)

[Almost Complete] - Hearts (Happy V-Day!)

Happy valentines day everyone (I know, it's not here yet, but whatever).

I've been working on my latest game, Hearts.

Here is a beta version of it. All it is missing is the highscore tables and the global username check, but hopefully that will be implemented in the next couple of days.

Please test for bugs and report fps. =)

**Please don't get attached to your accounts. They will all be deleted once the final version is released.

***All data is stored locally, so clearing cache will erase all saved information.

Link:
    http://dounanthebarb.tripod.com/chearts_beta.html

Thank you for playing

This game was really good ! The only thing that i notice was that the music was way to loud so you should turn it down to half maybe or so becouse the sound crunched.

Very nice. Looks really good and plays well too. Really liked all the different bonuses, they made game much more interesting.

Only thing I could complain about is that the hearts on right side are much more difficult to be hit, so those should either give more points or they should move slower.

the game is just nice.
    the sound scared me to death (awfully loud)
    and i'm just going to HATE that amor-thingy intro ...

(and it would be nice to see the preloader without waving the mouse like an idiot ...)

nGFX

Lovely but kinda difficult for a first level - I agree with Tonypa on this one.
    The arrows effect when touching the edge makes all the difference. Aint too sure about the shaky-shaky loader: nice idea but not finished. Could be turn in a very enjoyable 2 players mode. Each step closer to perfection.
    Hope nobody knows I am still on Flash 5

That is an awesome game, very addicting.

What is the point of registration?
    Free Online Games @ GameGecko.com

Games For Websites @ GamesForWebsites.com

Contact me if you would like GameGecko to sponsor or license your games.

dbarbarian, very nice work man - I loved it. Those upgrades really make it fun. It reminded me of your battlepong game; same thing there: the upgrades make the game unpredictable and exciting and having both good and bad effects from them is a great twist in both games. Excellent job.
    pnFlashGames.com
    share your games with thousands
    MediaProtect.org - Helping you protect your work (In Development)

Official Shoe Shiner thehumanchimp's Avatar
    really nice game you got there. only one issue.
    As nGFX said, although the effect is cool, it can get abit tedious waving the mouse about to see the preloader + there should be some sort of epilepsy warning with all the resultant flickering.

p.s. why you on tripod!?!?
    Message on a gravestone: I finished before you in the human race.

Using: Flash MX

Gorfiuz: Thanks. Although, I think the music was affected by the quality compression rather than volume. However, I will turn the volume down some. Also, I think some of the "crunching" sounds are supposed to be part of the song.

Tonypa: Glad you liked it I have updated the game to add score relative to the x coordinate. Thanks for the suggestion =)

nGFX: Which sound scared you? The music loop? Or the sound effects? Or the armorgames intro music?
    The reason the preloader is like that is because i wanted to try something different (same preloader as Snowball Fight). I will add a small percentage meter at the bottom corner so you don't have to wave the mouse around, lol. Thanks for the comments.

artlink: I toned the difficulty down a little bit. I tried to make the gameplay progress a little faster than normal for two reasons. 1) People with slower fps will sitll have some sort of challenge. 2) Makes the playing time for each round shorter to allow for more attempts. I know I woulnd't like to play for 30 min trying to beat a highscore just to fail. I prefer game time to be around 5-10 minutes per game. However, it doesn't prevent people who are really good from playing for a lot longer than others without getting bored.
    Glad you liked the arrow effect =)
    What would you suggest to improve the loader?
    Not really sure how I would go about making a two player mode though...Do you mean online or local?
    I don't think I'll ever reach perfection, but I'll sure try. =)

moe8585: Thanks . Registration saves all the data locally so you keep all your stats and scores for that account. Also, it hinders people a little from randomly submitting highscores. They would have to create a new account each time, which would take a little more time than just randomly typing their name. Plus, the account gives the game a more personal feel, like you are part of it, instead of it just being another game (I think..)

leason: Thank you leason. Yea, good ol' battlepong. Happy to hear that you liked the powerups. I tried to make it so that although good powerups are generally good, they can turn on you and bad powerups might come in handy sometimes.

thehumanchimp: I added a small percentage counter at the corner =)
    I'm on tripod because I don't have a portfolio yet (hopefully I will when summer rolls around). There is no point purchasing a domain without an actual site. And besides, tripod does what it needs to, which is just to show my games (although I can understand that all the popups can be annoying, and I'm sorry about that).

Thanks to everyone for your comments. They have been really helpful
    Keep em coming!

-DBarbarian

Official Shoe Shiner thehumanchimp's Avatar
    im on firefox so didnt get any popups, but the ad at the top just irritates me + its slow as hell.
    but yeh, once again - really nice, i like the music aswell

you dont need to get a domain though, head over to www.post4hosting.com - you get free banner-less hosting with alot of features all for free and:
    - 50 MB of Disk Space
    - 1GB of Bandwidth
    - 1 POP3 Email Account
    - 1 FTP Account
    - 1 Subdomain
    - 1 MySQL Database
    Message on a gravestone: I finished before you in the human race.

Using: Flash MX

Edit: Double Post
    Edit: Response to thehumanchimp

Yea. I guess the adds can get annoying. It won't be long now until I make my site. =)
    I'm glad you liked the music. I personally think it progresses the gameplay very well. I was afraid that nobody liked it since I didnt get any comments

-DBarbarian
    Last edited by dbarbarian; 02-13-2006 at 04:53 PM.

great game, great graphics and sounds. gj

doItLikeThis
    Too cute graphics. Very well designed. I saw even the fonts have been altered into.....heart shaped format. Good job!
    -Aditya

AluminX: Thanks

adit_ya_sharma: Yea, goldsickle did a really great job with the graphics. The font was some font that I downloaded from a valentines day site, so it wasn't altered. But I'm glad you liked it =)

Which sound scared you? The music loop? Or the sound effects? Or the armorgames intro music?
    i would say all of them. (though, the amorgames stuff is just plain anoying)
    i must admit that i'm a 100% "no valentines day" guy - the whole "heart" here, "love" there simply puts me of. so i just plainly like the game and it's mechanics, but the whole theme ... you get the point.

back to the "the music scared me": when i first started the game the music was quite loud and the piano theme did not ... well, match. (but that's only me i guess, as i prefer more "less intrusive" loops)

... so if i turn of the sound it's a nice play ...

nGFX

nice.
    I played for a good long while, and really enjoyed the experience.
    (didn't notice any bugs.)

i could have sworn i meant to reply to this already.

Oh well, top game, love the powerups, sweet action jackson.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

nGFX: I turned down all the sounds 80%. Should help some. The piano loop is actually a techno loop, but builds up as piano in the beginning. When it gets to the main part of the song, it really puts you into the game (at least for me)
    But that is why the toggle music/sound option is there
    Glad you enjoyed the game despite the theme. =)

charlie_says: Thats good to hear. And its better to hear that there aren't any bugs. They're a pain to get rid of...

mr_malee: lol. Thank you