A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updated online portfolio

perplexed by actionscript alien_landscape's Avatar

Updated online portfolio

Hello Everyone,

I posted my online portfolio a short while ago, but have since made a few changes and wanted to gauge opinion again.

I’ve added a ‘sketch book’ section, and tinkered with the general layout and transition effects.

Would be really grateful for any constructive feedback, many thanks!
    Last edited by alien_landscape; 06-08-2006 at 03:34 PM.

-_-
    Loved your first site, and this one rocks. keep up the good work!

Glad you like it man.

Are you really ten years old?

-_-
    For the 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,00 0,000,000,000,000,000 time, I AM TEN YEARS OLD!!!!!

then why aren't you at school?

Anyway, anyone else want to comment on my website?

-_-
    ah schools out. . Got the day off because the roads are icy. More computer time, so I can't complain.

its simple, its nice nothing spectacular but your print work is rediculous! I think its not a bad thing to have a simple site to show off quality work.

SAMedia Blog (general bs) :: jwinmedia (my music site)
    "Think of an advertisement where the product you're marketing is Jesus!"
    -From a work for hire ad

UnRegistered User
    I really like it. it loads up so quickly and thats always a relief!
    The only comment I might have is that when I scrolled over the navigational squares in the corner it took a few seconds to notice the opposing bars at the top... maybe find a way to integrate the two?

stu

Jwin said it, good simple site, very impressive work. I loved the Brut Flash Vid. The sound you have ont he rollovers is good, its subtle, but it lets you know that its a button. Good luck with it.

wow, you've got some really great work there (in your portfolio)...the site is good too.

I don't know about the mouseover menu though. i'm really not liking that you have the menu titles at the top and the mouseover boxes at the bottom. For an 'average' user, this could really confuse people. I'd bring the menu title bar to the bottom...but that's just me.

Hey

Thank you everyone for your generally very positive comments.
    I’ll be targeting my site mainly at those in the industry, but I do agree that an average user might have trouble with the menu arrangement; I’ll tinker with it a little more when I get the chance.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by alien_landscape
    I’ll be targeting my site mainly at those in the industry, but I do agree that an average user might have trouble with the menu arrangement;
    You have to remember that even if the person is in your industry...they may not be quite so educated in internet layouts as you think they are. Remember always that your audience is generally stupid...no matter how close to the industry they're in.

And just another note on that...this site could very well land you ther jobs with clients who may be far from the industry...who are even more ignorant to the Internet than those close to it.

It's just a marketing thing, man (that's my specialty, not Flash or web design). I hope you dont' take my comments too personally.

Quote Originally Posted by lefteyewilly
    It's just a marketing thing, man (that's my specialty, not Flash or web design). I hope you dont' take my comments too personally.

Hey, The whole reason I posted on site check was to identify problematic issues with my site before I started targeting it at potential employers. I really value the opinion of all the folk who've taken the time to view my site and leave feedback, I'd never take their constructive criticism personally.

I agree that a designer should always assume that their audience is stupid, It's all to easy to get caught up in your own clever concept and forget about the end user, as I may have done on this occasion.

I will rethink that menu, Many Thanks.
    Last edited by alien_landscape; 02-15-2006 at 07:06 AM.

...dishing dimes on an .fla! pointguard's Avatar
    Nice work...
    Again, i enjoyed your portfolio. The print section had some lovely stuff in there...

I like the layout, the simplicity - it is similar in layout to http://www.stevebullockdesign.com which is also navigationally foolproof.

Nice work!

You are sooooo NOT 10 years old, lol. Cool site. Titles should be near the menu.

-_-
    YES I AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! I'm not kiding! Honestly!

Leoni

nice and simple (I could learn a thing or two)

Hi guy,

First of all...nice site...cool work too..only two comments from me: Your page says 'untitled' and I don't like the preloader much...it's too large....

Also thanks for your comments on my site a couple of days back...really helped me out 100%. I wonder what you think of it now (not quite there yet though) www.leodesign.nl

Greetings,

Leoni

Hey Leoni, many thanks for commenting on my site.

Yeah, I don't actually know how to add a title (pathetic I know) perhaps you could tell me the code I need to do that… man, I really need to learn some basic HTML!

I’d rather not change the size of my preloader, I wanted it that wide so that it could expand (when fully loaded) to become the background rectangle, but I do appreciate the feedback.

I took another look at your site and it is certainly greatly improved! I'm really pleased you took the decision to simplify your logo; it looks great now, far more professional.

And by toning down that colour scheme your site is now much easier on the eye.

I still don't like the group of buttons in the bottom left hand corner, they just don't seem to belong together, try and find a way to make them consistent in size and shape.

Also maybe ease up on those transitions at the start.

Overall much much better!! Keep up the good work dude
    Last edited by alien_landscape; 03-06-2006 at 07:35 PM.

Leoni

HTML sucks

Hiyo,

yeah..I know..HTML sucks...try to avoid it whenever I can, but sometimes it can't be helped..

when you look at your source code, right up the top there's the <head> tag...just under it you'll find the <title> TITLE OF YOUR PAGE </title>

...just fill in your title there without disturbing the tags and upload again...you should be allright..itsa simple...

Thanks for the positive feedback..I'll try and work on the buttons...but the transition at the start...do you mean the preloader drawing or the intro?

I'm not quite happy about the preloader drawing yet so I guess I'll change that, but I was actually quite pleased with the little intro...feels subtle enough to me...hmm...

Also, the Logo is much better, I agree, but it still needs some work...if you have any suggestions...they would be welcome..

GreetingZ,

Leoni (dude = dudette btw )