dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Spry

Spry

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/spry/

Has anyone taken a look at this yet? It's really neat. They packaged up an XMLHttpRequest object with Google's XPath JS code and a bunch of effects in transitions to make using Ajax pretty simple.

If you do any kind of server side scripting you'll get it instantly, there's a JS object you treat as your returned query, then just class/id your markup elements with specific Spry tags, and use XPath variables where you'd normally use your PHP/ASP/CFML code, all handled by JS. Not too harsh on the overhead either, check out the dynamic table tutorial.

This is really good for you e-Learning folks who need portable content.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Yeah Thats looking very interesting...

I've been looking at Ajax for a while now but I seemed to be a bit too complex for my little mind.. But this Framework looks to relativly stright forward...

Thanks Palexc...

I've been working on a AJAX project and loving it... So annoying when they package up something like that with a little bow... you feel all that hard work was for nothing.

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Xell
    I've been working on a AJAX project and loving it... So annoying when they package up something like that with a little bow... you feel all that hard work was for nothing.
    I disagree. Anyone can use the packaged version but you know how it works. There are lots of Frameworks available but they all have their limitations. With you programming on your own you can do anythng as long as you can figure it out.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

True, but it's just that it takes away from the value of AJAX programming, seeing as anyone can just open up this app and hey-presto!

I guess I'm just grouchy, been working too long today.

At least you've got a good working knowlege of how it all works... you know even with the framework problems will always arise and sorting them out can be a nightmare... If you you've got a good base knowlege then it will be easier to sort any problems out..

S

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    Speaking of AJAX. I came across a really cool new AJAX search engine the other day. Snap.com has some really interesting ideas. I'd like to see you program that with a framework.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Xell
    Translation: Why didn't I see this before I started my project?! GRAAAHHH!

I'm all for understanding the fundamentals of something, but once I do, I've got no problem using a framework to make it go faster, as long as it's not a crap framework.

If I started to do more Ajax-ey stuff, I'd work my way towards building re-usable code anyway, Adobe just did it for me.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

I've been wanting to do exactly this for a while now. I simply want my html/php pages to be as dynamic as my flash without page refreshes. Is that basically what AJAX and Ruby on Rails were designed to do or do they have a bigger purpose? Im still not clear on what they are. I'm always hesitant to learn a new language until I know its going to be around for a while.

Rails is different, it's for managing/deploying different sites I think.

Don't let Ajax scare you, it's nothing special. Just DHTML/Javascript used to manipulate a page on the client, alongside using the XMLHttpRequest object to load an XML file into JS to supply data dynamically. Spry gives you an XPath framework (from Google) to work with the XML which makes life a little easier.

If you want a good XMLHttpRequest 101 tutorial, try these:
    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...jaxintro1.html
    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...07AJAX-Request
    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...w01MasterAJAX3

You do ColdFusion too right? Might wanna check this out:
    http://www.ajaxcf.com/blog/
    Last edited by PAlexC; 05-19-2006 at 02:16 PM.

damn. thanks for those links, Mr. C.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

crap. getting 'server maintenence' messages from the ibm site. just search for it in the developer center.

Haha perfect! IBM happens to be doing maintenance right now.
    Thanks for the links PAlexC, when you gonna do an e-lesson the tools you use?

Considering I work in e-Learning and somehow have managed to avoid both Breeze and Captivate for 5 years, no clue. Pay me lots of money and I'll do a live training session.

But Spry looks good for anything that has to be packaged and sent out to run on its own. I plan on re-building a couple things we have in it just so we have a Flash and non-Flash version.