A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Blurry text & weird problem?

Blurry text & weird problem?

Hi,

I've developed a website but I'm finding it difficult to keep sharp clean text. I'm trying to use 10 and 12 point Arial with no alias text on it.

I read up on kirupa and tried setting the font to dynamic, but this causes the font to change to times new roman when I publish it. I've set the co-ordinates to even numbers just in case this could cause a problem, but this still isn't working. Is there anything else I can try?

If you go to this link and check out the text on the education rollover, you'll see what I mean. The other rollovers on that site look fine.

Did you embed the text ?

Quote Originally Posted by estudioworks
    Did you embed the text ?

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I do that? I tried looking up on google and found one site that gave instructions, but it didn't work.

Just embedded the fonts using the text properties window and clicking on edit character options, i added in uppercase, lowercase and numerical. I just tried this on one text box with an Arial font size 12. The text looks like a different blur has been applied to it. Am I doing something wrong?

PS - I followed this tutorial on how to embed fonts.

Flasher
    To embed the text:

Click one the text box, and open the properties panel. On the right there will be an "embed..." button, click it, and then a box opens up. Click the auto fill button, and press okay. Also, the text has to be dynamic, so just switch it if it's static text.

The problem that you're probably having:
    Is that the X and Y cordinates of the text have decimals in them. If they do, switch these decimals to 0's.

Quote Originally Posted by sportzguy933
    To embed the text:

Click one the text box, and open the properties panel. On the right there will be an "embed..." button, click it, and then a box opens up. Click the auto fill button, and press okay. Also, the text has to be dynamic, so just switch it if it's static text.
    Are you talking about the "characters" button? I'm using MX 2004. I've gone through that process if that's what you're talking about, if it isn't can you explain a little better as to where that button is?

Quote Originally Posted by sportzguy933
    The problem that you're probably having:
    Is that the X and Y cordinates of the text have decimals in them. If they do, switch these decimals to 0's.

I've tried playing around with that but to no avail, I've been messing around with this for a while and I've checked out the boards before but haven't gotten anywhere

Thanks for the reply

Can you post the .fla ?

fla

There it is.

I just bit the bullet and got flash 8 pro. The text looks fine and all is working well.

Do I have to embed the font for every piece of dynamic text that I want to use?

Scratch that last question, my head is a bit fried this morning. Thanks for all the help guys, it's very much appreciated

If you got 8 you don't need to use dynamic, you can use static and select Anti Alisa for Readability

Also, same problem you have inside your buttons at the top... not just EDUCATION section.

What I would do is, check all those text objects if they are set to exact positions. X and Y needs to be round number, nothing like 25.2 or -32.7

Make them round, for each one of those text objects. Something like 25.0 or 56.0 or -28.0 etc.

You need to do that inside the object first, make sure that text is set to exact positions, and then, all those little buttons or movieclips (whichever you used), make sure everything is set exact pixels.

Cheers !
    :: ONLINE PORTFOLIO :: web site (Flash version 7 required, recommended screen resolution: at least 1024x768 pixels)

:: SASHA-Z-CREATIONS :: web site

Quote Originally Posted by Thankful
    Also, same problem you have inside your buttons at the top... not just EDUCATION section.

What I would do is, check all those text objects if they are set to exact positions. X and Y needs to be round number, nothing like 25.2 or -32.7

Make them round, for each one of those text objects. Something like 25.0 or 56.0 or -28.0 etc.

You need to do that inside the object first, make sure that text is set to exact positions, and then, all those little buttons or movieclips (whichever you used), make sure everything is set exact pixels.

Cheers !

Now that he has Flash 8, he doesn't need to that anymore

Indeed! Thanks for all the help guys, I still couldn't get to the bottom of the original problem, I have tried just about everything in Flash MX 2004, that includes setting all the x/y co-ordinates to even numbers, using font sizes 10 and using on fonts that macromedia recommend for sharp text (12 Arial text).

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys, I now have Flash 8 which sorts out the problem completely, all the help is much appreciated.

Exactly but it's still antialiased text, and he said he doesn't want it to be antialiased. He wants it to be crisp clear... Like many of those pixel/bitmap fonts...

@goawey - See here what you get when set all text objects to exact positions, no matter which version of Flash you use... that's the first rule in Flash. Make everything exact pixels and you will spare yourself all those problems in the future...

I just opened your FLA file and I have to say you have literally hundreds of text objects set to some non-exact positions... check them all... until you do that, you will have these problems... When I say that, I mean also on all those movie clips where you used those text files... you have to set them to exact positions too... otherwise, there will be more problems...

Last edited by Thankful; 02-15-2006 at 11:00 AM.
    :: ONLINE PORTFOLIO :: web site (Flash version 7 required, recommended screen resolution: at least 1024x768 pixels)

:: SASHA-Z-CREATIONS :: web site

Quote Originally Posted by Thankful
    I just opened your FLA file and I have to say you have literally hundreds of text objects set to some non-exact positions... check them all... until you do that, you will have these problems... When I say that, I mean also on all those movie clips where you used those text files... you have to set them to exact positions too... otherwise, there will be more problems...
    Thanks for the screen shot, I understand that the x/y co-ordinates have an affect on text, but the specific piece of text that I was trying to sharpen was on the education movie clip. I set the co-ordinates to whole even numbers and it still comes out blurry. Since I couldn't find a way around this, I updated to Flash 8, which thankfully has sorted it.

The original blurryness of the education rollover still bugs me though

Thanks for the advice!