dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: hit a mental block, feedback might help...

UnRegistered User

hit a mental block, feedback might help...

Im currently in the early stages of building my freelance site and to be honest, Im not really getting in to it. Thought you guys could give me some feedback..?

onesixfor...

As I said, its in the really early stages so the only example of the deepest nav level is under print then the first link.

Im not really liking the navigation, I would really like to see it more fluid (I think that would open up the design a hell of a lot) but having the idea and actually creating from that are two poles apart... (http://www.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=674374)

As mentioned, Im looking to make the site more fluid with a strong typographic edge but I think the combination of uninspiring navigation and poor transitions are letting it down..?

Any feedback would be greatfully received. Thanks in advance.

Stu

perplexed by actionscript alien_landscape's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cr34tiv3 5tu
    Im not really liking the navigation, I would really like to see it more fluid (I think that would open up the design a hell of a lot) but having the idea and actually creating from that are two poles apart... (http://www.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=674374)

I just viewed the above thread... If you're still looking for a solution to this problem, take a look at the 'Scrolling Thumbnail Panel' video tutorial featured on www.gotoandlearn.com

Its very simple to follow and could be adapted very easily to suit your specifications, I think.

Aside from the navigation issue, I think your site layout is fresh, simple and understated, this is always the best approach for an online portfolio as it alows the displayed work to speak for itself.

hope this helps.
    Last edited by alien_landscape; 02-17-2006 at 02:30 PM.

UnRegistered User
    Thanks for that dude, really appreciate it. I'll have a look at the tutorial and update you all on any updates...

//UPDATE// I never thought of approaching it like that. ive used similar methods for scrolling thumbs but never thought of turning it vertically for navigation..!

Thanks again, stu
    Last edited by cr34tiv3 5tu; 02-19-2006 at 05:15 PM.

UnRegistered User
    Edit Bump!

MX beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by alien_landscape
    ...I think your site layout is fresh, simple and understated, this is always the best approach for an online portfolio as it alows the displayed work to speak for itself....

I agree with that 100% Great advice
    Last edited by 3PRIMATES; 02-20-2006 at 03:19 AM.

UnRegistered User
    Thanks again guys, really appreciate the feedback.

Ive been having a bash at the 'vertical thumbnail scroller' navigation and although its working okay(ish) I wouldnt feel 100% confident having it 'represent me' so i think that as time is now so tight im going to stick with the highly unoriginal navigation and get everything in place for launch.

Hopefully by then I'll have some time to work more on the navigation..!

Stu

// Updates here! //
    Last edited by cr34tiv3 5tu; 02-21-2006 at 07:00 PM.