A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stole games reading bytecode

I'd still be up for working on MediaProtect if there was enough interest.
    pnFlashGames.com
    share your games with thousands
    MediaProtect.org - Helping you protect your work (In Development)

So, Static Shock has encription and get hacked ?
    Same to HA3 ?
    So, softwares who remove encripted code are easy to find...

comedy code cobbler
    Quote Originally Posted by leason
    I'd still be up for working on MediaProtect if there was enough interest.
    You'll have to keep reminding and nagging at us mate, but the idea is sound

Static wasn't encrypted, but it was messed around with to a certain degree.

I'm not a huge advocate of messing around with copy protection in Flash. It just eats into development time.
    Do the basics, and assume it's going to get stolen anyway. Best you can hope for is that it takes them a bit longer than usual.

Squize.

leason,i actually liked the base idea of media protect,but i´m not that convinced its feasable to use to be honest.
    As i just wrote in another thread,i prefer prepublish ways of minimizing possible theft rather than trying to hunt for stolen content afterwards. The reason is simple,its just too time intensive.
    On each game release one would need at least one guy to regularly check the web for abuse.
    Sure one should check once in a while,but dedicating more effort to that part to me seems like less time is left for things you actually make money with.
    At the end of the day,what would you do with those you track down? Write them or their ISP a friendly mail and hope the content is removed. Check for their replies and their site again (and again). Get rolling with lawsuits often when no propper action is done from side of abusers. Sure,such things have to be done and in case of heavy abuses (for example several games beeing abused or games beeing sold) one could do such extra effort. But if you spend too much time on that side rather than working on your productions,your productions will suffer and you´ll only be able to do less games in longer time.
    I think what could help with your system would be if you once added content to it to be tracked down and then it would automatically generate you reports frequently (if that is already supported and i missed it,sorry).
    Last edited by tomsamson; 02-26-2006 at 07:55 PM.

And HA3?It had encryption?
    Can anyone answer my question please...and show any real example of encrypted game stolen...

Mate, I don't understand why the big bee in your bonnet about "protected" games being hacked. Everything is hackable.

I had a two second google ( Which I'm surprised you didn't do ) and found this:

http://www.onemorelevel.com/games.php?game=160

Not saying for one second it's a hacked version 'cause I really don't know. Although I'd be very surprised if the boys ( pred & dd ) have sold a distribution licence allowing the world and his dog to host it. It's for one of them to confirm.

Squize.
    Last edited by Squize; 02-27-2006 at 07:21 PM.

Not Real since 1985
    Hi HumanC,
    I thought it didn't work but after some tries on my desktop I have this file stream.php. I renamed it to something.swf and it shows me a pic of 'Two Kingdoms', your avatar, and text 'percent' (red) 100% (blue).
    I think I just saved it using Firefox. Sorry
    01:15 over here, tomorrow another day.
    Never accept the first 'impossible' unless it comes from a lady.

to Incrue: i also think you misunderstand what code obfuscation or encryption is mostly good for,that is to prevent easily reusing your game code in other projects.
    Its not the main aim of obfuscators to avoid removing copy protection or hosting a game on another server (because for that aims its not really ideal).
    Also i don´t get the sense of your question in general,i mean is it that you´re so curious to know whether something can have a foolproof copy protection or anti-foreign server hosting protection?
    If so,i can tell you, one can remove the copy protection of pretty much every software released,no matter on which system and in which language it was written. (Note,this is no invitation to try so,just an information). Pretty much all commercially sold games on pc and consoles have copy protection systems added and still there are lots of places where people can download versions which have that protection removed or disabled.
    So,going by that experience,if you release something chances are high that it will be copied or used in a way you don´t want one day or the other if its anything outstanding (or just even seeming worthwhile for a game portal for that matter).
    Its a good idea to protect your content in reasonable ways,but you should really focus on doing your stuff rather than worrying about copycats all day or you won´t get anything released anymore.
    Last edited by tomsamson; 02-27-2006 at 08:25 PM.