A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AIR, Shu, Zinc and SWFStudio

AIR, Shu, Zinc and SWFStudio

I was hoping to make standalone applications in AIR but found a couple of issues - application wasn't standalone (eg able to run from CD) and I couldn't execute other applications.

However, I have come across a product called Shu, www.shu-player.com, which seems to remove those limitations of AIR.
    I have used Zinc before but it had soo many bugs and performance issues we had to drop it. SWFStudio doesnt support Mac, so that unfortunately cant be used.

I just wondered if anyone has done a comparison of Shu based AIR apps to the other more traditional Zinc, SWFStudio apps?

I have found ones comparing Zinc to AIR, but now Shu is available, they seem irrelevant.

Developer
    How old is shu - I don't think anyone could have made a comparison since it's so new.

I find it quite a coincidence that this is your first post here and you mention the shu-player...

If I didn't know any better I'd say you only posted here to advertise shu...
    Last edited by Cortana; 03-31-2008 at 10:53 AM.
    now known as dVyper

Quote Originally Posted by Cortana
    I find it quite a coincidence that this is your first post here and you mention the shu-player...

If I didn't know any better I'd say you only posted here to advertise shu...
    Out of order. Actually I couldnt remember my account login details OR the email address I registered it with. I havnt been in the flashkit forums for a while.

Developer
    Interesting...

Especially as on the website specified it was supposed to be launched tomorrow...

I've noticed a few posts from new users on other forums all saying pretty much the same thing...
    now known as dVyper

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    The FK mods are on the job man, relax. The post was in the moderation queue because it was from a "new" user and contained a URL. I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and let it through. If he had posted in other forums it would have been a little more suspicious. He wouldn't be the first (and they won't be the last) to spam the board and get banned for it.

WOW, an honest post. I am soo surprised.

Much respect Northcode for giving me the benefit of the doubt.

For the record, I found out about Shu via a blog listing at wildwinter (I dare not post link in case I get accused of pushing someone elses tool!).

As for release dat on Shu site... I hadnt even noticed!! Anyway, whats that have to do with anything???

Developer
    I was simply thinking that perhaps the website wasn't going to be advertised to geezers until that date.

T'wll be interesting to see how this newcomer fares with such a high price tag...
    now known as dVyper

Doesn't seem that high a price as you get both the Mac and PC versions for the money. With Zinc you have to buy the PC and Mac version separately and together they add up to considerably more than the cost of shu ....

be interesting to see how this newcomer fares with such a high price tag
    Scared to post now! but...
    Hmm, price works out cheaper than Zinc as far as I can work out ($700 ish for Mac and PC), Shu is £250 for both. But not a give away really.

Anyonoe here named Jethro?

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    The Shu site is just vague enough on details to almost be useless for information on how exactly it works and more importantly does it negate the need (which it hints by saying it doesn't need to install or require the runtime which in and of itself is interesting but lacking details of how it does this) for a CA. AIR installers are ferociously scary without one (and even then still aren't the warmest fuzziest experience with the system access warnings) and how exactly would Shu handle this or bypass it? If it can't...factor in the cost of a CA which makes AIR anything but free if you want to BE recognized as the author or a "TRUSTED SOURCE"

You make an interesting point Chris.
    From what I can tell, Shu completely bypasses the CA stuff built in to AIR (as there is no install of a Shu app) so there is no notion of a "trusted source". If we want or need that security for end users, Shu wont help at all.

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by helix_torques
    Doesn't seem that high a price as you get both the Mac and PC versions for the money. With Zinc you have to buy the PC and Mac version separately and together they add up to considerably more than the cost of shu ....
    Wow, another shu fanboy already?

Interestingly you haven't posted about any other subject....

Interestingly you haven't posted about any other subject....
    Ease up the fanboys They're allowed to like software. Maybe they were on the beta and were just waiting to tell someone about it. If you have complaints, please PM me or another moderator and we'll take care of it.

Well I wasnt on the Shu beta, but I have been googling for this kind of tool for what seems like ages now. I am very excited... why... fed up with Zinc and its bugs and workarounds. ANYone who has used Zinc for any length of time will know EXACTLY what I am saying.
    I would have used SWFStudio instead of Zinc but it has no Mac output unfortunately.
    Same applies to Mike Chamber's CommandProxy but this also lacks other things Shu addresses.
    I really like AIR, largely because most things I need to do are built in. Lets face it, Adobe are far less likely to create bugs than MDM! Shu doesnt add loads of commands (very few actually), so hopefully there is less room to break!

Another thing guys, I noticed a post on MDM forums about Shu. Funny how they deleted that thread. At least Northcode (Tim here), isnt so protectionist.

You "noticed" a post on the MDM forums eh? Wasn't whilst you were typing it, was it?

Zinc kicks ass, I use it all the time. From what you're saying I doubt you've used it in years.

No, not typed by myself actually.
    I have been using Zinc since it was Flash Studio Pro v1 actually. I also have delivered several apps built with it. I have also had to suffer the complaints from my customers too when they get an access violation on Dell machines etc etc.
    Oh and the spending twice as long as it should take to author because of countless bugs and having to find workarounds for them. I have been (and anyone who uses Zinc has to IMO) been very active on their forums.
    How you can assume I havent used it in "years" is mind boggling.
    I cannot think of ONE person out of all the people I know and speak to that reckons Zinc "kicks ass" (if what your meaning there is positive).
    Everyone I ever speak to who actually USES Zinc for COMMERCIAL products reckons it is rubbish. Or kicks ones own ass (in a bad way).

Beantickler, you have a couple of noticable writing quirks which show up in all of your posts, irrelevant of which name you're posting under.

Quote Originally Posted by lesli_felix
    Beantickler, you have a couple of noticable writing quirks which show up in all of your posts, irrelevant of which name you're posting under.
    Oh really. Care to shed some light on your knowledge and wisdom then?

Nope. You never let someone know what their tell is.