A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: About music

Hi everybody.

I am new to this forum, My name is Gil.

I have been trying a few different things, downloaded some lessons, and played around with Flash. Without success.
    I am about to put a new website online. I used the embed tag to let both IE and NS play and loop a small wav file as a background sound. It's nearly perfect if it wasn't for the fact that Netscape adds about a third of a second at the end of the .wav file before it loops.

Instead, I'd rather use a small (maybe invisible) flash movie that loops the .wav file 999 times. I am sure I'll be able to make it in a week orso, but the website must be on-line as soon as possible.

Can anyone help me? Maybe make a .fla file for me to show me how to?

Thanks a lot!
    Gil

Not a Flash Kit Moderator
    The FlashDoctor

Here is what you want to do. Make a Flash movie. Name your first layer Music.
    Click File\Import. Select your .wav file and import it. Then insert that music into your first keyframe.(Just drag it to your stage)
    In the last frame of the loop set the action to loop 999 times.
    Then click:Modify\Movie. Then make the dimensions of the movie 1 pixel by 1 pixel. This will make the movie unnoticeable. Export it and EMBED it into your page. Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks, off course it worked. I just kept on thinking I had to add a second keyframe to make it work. Second step is the sound on/off button. Nice to get such a quick reply.

I post all my JavaScript DHTML and General webdesign question at the wsabstract.com forum. It's a very lively and profesional forum. Nice to know a of a place where people can help me out with Flash.

Bye
    Gil

The FlashDoctor

Although we are mainly Flash here, we love to help everybody and anybody, and if you want I would really appreciate a small letter to the Pope de Flash. If you send him a mail saying how helpful I was, it may influence his decision. You dont have to do this, just kind of a bonus. Here is his email: pope@flashkit.com. Glad I could help. If you need anything else, just post it on the board. Cheers, Steve Starr

Hi Steve, So I will (in a minute)

And I do need something, and I'm a little desperate too. I have been designing and developping websites and small applications for quite a while but just started playing with Flash. What I need is a little sound on/off button. Just one little speaker without anytext. I found a little lesson but that seemed to be Flash 3 cause it just didn't work. The site will be put-online so untill that time people will have to turn down the sound volume if it gets annoying.

Thanks!
    Gil

The FlashDoctor

What you need to do is this. Put your sound in its own movie. Then insert that movie into the MAIN MOVIE. Then make your button, and on the down state, insert an action, just so that it goes to a blank frame that has an instance of a button that looks exactly the same. But in that button have the down state go to the begining of the frame that the music starts on. If you just want the sound to restart, and not the movie, just put a stop action at the end of your movie, and then put another instance of the sound after the stop action, and just have the button reference that frame. This is the easiest way to do it without allot of scripting. Just out of curiosity did you send the pope an email? Have a great day, if you have anymore questions, just post it on the board.
    Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve, Thanks. I'll start making that first moviie right now and yes I did send that e-Mail

Bye
    Gil

The FlashDoctor

Great, thanks have an absolutely fantastic day. Steve