dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annoying skin problem

Annoying skin problem

Im making an airplane in swift 3D. Everything was going smooth untill it was time to do the skin. The airplane fuselage is in two halvs comeing together. I want to put the skin for the side on each half. So I made out the skin

nothing greate, needs some work but when I go to put it on the airplane it comes out like this

For some odd reson its puting the skin on the wrong way, its puting the skin on verticle and streching it out that way. Is there an option I have to select? If so im not seeing it on where you go to make the meterial. Why is it doing this!

P.S. Why is it that I always seem to be the one to post about problems with Swift 3D.
    Last edited by BlackCow237; 02-20-2006 at 07:31 AM.
    This is our world now, the world of the electron and the switch. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias.

I tried rotateing the skin so it goes the long way thinking (in a desperate atempt) that that would fix it but it still dosent come out right. It puts it on the right way but it only shows a small portion of it and its WICKED stretched out. Why is it doing this!!!
    This is our world now, the world of the electron and the switch. We exist without nationality, skin color, or religious bias.

highlight the fuselage, switch to advanced modeler. click edit mesh, then click the "paintbucket icon"... edit texture mode. right click the fuselage, and either see if automap cylindrical works it out for you, or automap solid coordinates.

if not, feel free to rotate and edit as you see fit to make it work as you need. you might need to turn off auto-tiling via the material - edit the material to disengage auto x,y tiling.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

read this;
    http://www.erain.com/community/cases...es/Warrior.asp
    finally i get bc to read something
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Muha, it works. Thank you gerbick. I did read what you gave me blink but gerbicks info is what helped me. I did try to google this but I was getting absolutly NOTHING helpful. Maby part of the problem is that I dident know exactly how to ask google. But after playing around with the rotateing I finaly got it perfectly.

dude, you don't need Google.

just search here, Swiftdev, or Erain... and the manual.

haha! yeah the manual

Quote Originally Posted by BlinkOk
    haha! yeah the manual
    If I could write down all that you knew in your head, I'd call it the "Unofficial Genius Guide to Swift3D"... seriously dude.

You're a magician.

Now im trying to do the same thing for the other side, I am trying to do the same thing I did to the first side but it just wont look the way I want it to. I reversed the skin for the other side and everything. It keeps comeing out all bloobish. Im just going to step away from swift 3D b4 I throw it out the window, play some CSS, and when I get back hopefully I can get it to work as well as the first side.

go into the am.
    delete the side that isn't correct.
    select the side that's ok and then
    right click and;
    mirror
    align duplicate
    (left>right, top bottom etc) depending on the orientation of your shape.
    then re-read the link i gave you. it will help you to understand the problem
    gerbs: thanks for the props dude but i think rush/savant have that crown. btw where are those guys these days?
    Last edited by BlinkOk; 02-21-2006 at 07:20 AM.

Actually I was just about to post this...

This is a quick example I made that demonstrates the results of following pretty much the exact instructions Blink gave. So thanks for saving me the trouble of typing that out.

So I guess basically the only additional advice I could give would be taking a screenshot of the side of your fuselage in the AM (those viewports are orthographic and hence won't give you any distortion of the image due to perspective) and use that as a reference for the texture image. Just make sure you give yourself a little extra room on the top and bottom for it to wrap around a little bit. That, and just to clarify...once you've duplicated your good side you will probably want to select all your center vertices, set your Smartweld Tolerance to zero, then right-click the verts and Smartweld them so there won't be a seam where the smoothing groups meet. Keep an eye on the number of vertices down in the info bar before and after the operation to make sure you have exactly half when you are done or things could get ugly.

Where have I been? In the process of pulling my head out of my ass, mostly.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

lol... Rush, I think we're all pulling that part of ourselves out of "there" lately.

Blink... look above. Rush still is a genius at Swift3D here, Savant has been somewhat busy over at Graphics.com actually - but he's just had a little one not too long ago, so being a parent has taken over a bit from Swift3D geniusry (it's a word because I say it's one!)

But nobody's missing except me using Swift3D that much as of late. I need to play catch up to you three great dudes.

Rush, awesome tute, per usual.

hehe good to see you again rush. always sweet work dude.
    now get that swift3d workin gerbs

Thanks, Blink and back at ya, bud.
    mrush

wow rush, ur C-47 just totaly owned mine. How did you get such a nice green skin for it? I took mine off of a green helmet I found in google image search lol. I think there is a way to make them yourself with photoshop, maby I should learn. I just have ONE question about that. How the hek did you make the front nose part. That is been wicked hard for me to get to look right for some reason.

Edit: This is what it all looks like so far

Thanks for all your help!
    Last edited by BlackCow237; 02-22-2006 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCow237
    wow rush, ur C-47 just totaly owned mine. How did you get such a nice green skin for it? I took mine off of a green helmet I found in google image search lol. I think there is a way to make them yourself with photoshop, maby I should learn.
    Thanks, dude. And yes, you should definitely learn how to make them yourself in Photoshop.

That base texture was actually really easy to do. We're talkin' set up a brush and start waving it around the image kind of easy. So if you have it in your head that making your own textures is difficult, get that thought out of there right now! Don't worry, you don't need that particular one, you have plenty of good and useful thoughts floating around in there...

You do want to have the right tools at your disposal, though. I'm working with PS7. For the cool brush-related stuff you want at least this version or later. Then you need to find yourself some good brushes. These puppies are all over the internet. Just google 'photoshop brushes' and you'll get a bazillion results. Wow, that's a lot! There are other ways to create textures, but if you just use a lot of filters they are going to end up looking...well, filtered. They'll end up looking a lot less organic than those created with brushes.

There are filters that I use, and some that I perhaps use too much. One of the ones I tend to use fairly often is Artistic>Film Grain which is a lot like adding noise, but gives you a more subtle 'grit', if you will. Gaussian Blur can help smooth things out, but you don't want to go nuts with it. Motion Blur can turn grit into brushed metal or blotches into oil streaks. If you use this on something like a grit/noise layer then you often want to lock the layer transparency so you don't end up with transparent edges.

Another one that I used to overuse, but is still quite useful if you don't yet have the hang of brushes is the Render>Clouds filter. Set up your foreground and background colors and run the filter to get a very basic, random two-tone pattern that looks, oddly enough, a little bit like clouds. If your two colors are pretty close to each other though, then you can end up with a real quick base texture to which you can add other effects. This filter is rather limited though, because it's completely random. You run the filter and it throws up on your document then you decide if that looks anything like what you want it to. No? Hit Ctrl+F and run the filter again. Still no? Ok, run it again. And so it goes on until you finally find something will probably work.

There are a few other filters that I use for specialized occasions, but that is the beauty of brushes. They allow you to take full control over the texture and lay down virtual paint in a manner that exactly suits your needs. So that base texture was created with one of my 'cloud' brushes using two colors that I picked off your image with the Eyedropper. I had it set at full opacity and the foreground/background jitter set to 100. Had to have taken me less than two minutes to set it all up and lay it down. Quick, easy, simple, and even fun!

There is a host of other techniques that will serve you as well. For instance, Learn How To Use The Pen Tool! I can't add enough emphasis, here. The Pen Tool is tied very closely to the Shape Tools. Once you create a shape with any of these tools you can use the pen tools to adjust their paths in any way you wish or you can have the Shape Tools render to paths instead of a shape layer. You can use the Pen Tool to create various lines or shapes then stroke them with the Brush Tool (or many of the tools, actually) to get a wide variety of effects that either can't be achieved any other way or would otherwise be very difficult to accomplish. Paths can be saved and adjusted in ways that are superior to using saved selections, for instance.

In the texture I made above, the outlines for the door and the windows were created using the Rounded Rectange Shape Tool. The Fill Opacity of the layers was reduced to zero and I applied a Stroke Layer Style using a dark green color and reduced opacity. The windows had two more layers each with different gradients to get a slightly more complex reflection pattern.

The door was pretty much the same thing, but I also added a slight bevel. Then just so I could screw things up or make changes, I Ctrl+clicked the door layer to load the selection of it then hit Ctrl+Shift+C to Copy Merged and pasted a copy of the door over the original. This is kind of important because previous to this operation there was no actual door there. Do you understand why?

Remember when I said the door layer had the Fill Opacity reduced to zero and the Stroke and Bevel Layer Style applied? What this means is that the only things that are actually visible in that layer are the outline of the door and the shading that creates the bevel...the only pixels in the middle are those that are coming through from the bottom fuselage texture.

Why this matters is because the next thing I wanted to do was create the inset on the door for the handle. If I didn't copy and paste a merged version of the door then changes I made would end up on the fuselage texture and I prefer to have such things separate. So I pasted a new door then made a circular selection with the Elliptical Marquee Tool and next cut off the top with the Rectangular Marquee Tool to create a half-circle. Nudge it into place with the arrow keys if it's not already. Then with that selection active I used the Burn Tool with a soft brush to create the shading on the top so it looked like it was recessed into the door. The Dodge Tool created a bit of a highlight on the bottom edge.

The handle itself was a simple rectangle filled with while. I then used the Burn Tool to create some shading and add some random vertical highlights along the surface. When I had basically what I wanted I hit Crtl+L and used the Levels dialogue to bring the tones of the whole thing into line with where I wanted it.

The nose was just some simple subtractive shapes made with the Marquee Selection Tools. The first selection I made was using the Elliptical Marquee tool to create that top curve. I think next I just inverted the selection (Ctrl+Shift+I) then used the Rectangular Marquee Tool to cut off the parts I didn't want. If you still can't get that to work let me know.

The part lines were made by first using the Single-Column Marquee Tool to create the main vertical lines then the Rectangular Marquee Tool to drag out horizontal ones and the smaller vertical ones. These were filled with the same dark green as the door and window outlines and again had the opacity reduced until it looked good. This part is pretty subjective.

So I think the only thing I haven't mentioned is how I began this whole thing. I started with your image, added 300 pixels to the canvas size to better match the proportions of the fuselage and then placed my new base texture over yours, leaving the stripes intact. I then went on to add the other elements as described above.

Hope that helps. Good luck in your quest to create your own custom textures!

ps...After writing this I saw your update. It's looking better!
    mrush

lol, I actualy made my skin in Flash and exported it as a .jpg. But man, I asked how to make skins and you wrote me a friggen tutorial thanks. Im working on making my own texture (found some good and quick tutoirals on google and tried a bunch of things) but the thing I am haveing a lot of trouble with is the nose part.

The nose was just some simple subtractive shapes made with the Marquee Selection Tools.
    The marquee whatchumawhat? I always thought marquee was a neat html thing that made text scroll bye (probaly the first thing in html i ever learned) erm off topic but yes, could you elaborate a bit on that. Or if you dont want to write another huge tutoiral for me just give me a link to one? Ive been looking through Swift 3D options and havent been able to find anything about marquee. Im guessing its something in the advanced modler?

Lol...no, you won't find anything about a Marquee Tool in Swift3D. All the instructions above are specific to Photoshop. And as a matter of reference, I do always make an effort to use the exact terms you will find in the program in addition to capitalizing the first letters of the name of the tool or menu item. Just an fyi for you or anyone else reading this thread.

So just so I know exactly what information to give you, what program will you be using and hence want instructions for? Do you just want to know how to create that same black shape that is in mine, but in Flash?
    mrush

i think he want's to know how to model it. i think he wants to know how to combine two shapes in the AM

Could be. Just prior to asking about the nose he said he was working on the texture though, so I'm not really sure.
    mrush