dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Uploading .swf not working

Uploading .swf not working

I have such a frustrating problem.

I'm using smartFTP to upload files to my site and I wanted to replace a swf file with one I have adjusted.

So I upload the file, go to my site, the old file is still the one being used, even though it should no longer exist!! I've tried different ways of uploading it i.e. uploading the file with a different file name (go to that on the site and it is the correct file) delete the original and then rename the new file.
    NOTHING works and its driving me bonkers.

Anyone else come across this problem or am I just making some sort of crazy mistake??

Thanks,

Helen

Quote Originally Posted by thedoofus
    I have such a frustrating problem.

I'm using smartFTP to upload files to my site and I wanted to replace a swf file with one I have adjusted.

So I upload the file, go to my site, the old file is still the one being used, even though it should no longer exist!! I've tried different ways of uploading it i.e. uploading the file with a different file name (go to that on the site and it is the correct file) delete the original and then rename the new file.
    NOTHING works and its driving me bonkers.

Anyone else come across this problem or am I just making some sort of crazy mistake??

Thanks,

Helen
    Yeah I have. In windows explorer you can force your cache to update by pressing shift+F5 or ctrl+F5, one of the two. That should solve it.

Infuriating, isn't it?

Well, has my solution worked or not? Bear in mind that you have to be viewing the page in question in IE and press ctrl+F5 for it to work. I'm 99.9% certain that's the solution to your problem. You can change your files as much as you want but your 'puter will look to the cache for the same page for quicker loading times ~ which means that you'll think the new upload hasn't worked.

that is, if you're looking at the swf from Internet Explorer. Usually, firefox automatically shows the new file. It doesn't have that cache issue.

Yeah, it seems you're having cache problems, if you're using IE, clean your cache.
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

Quote Originally Posted by argonauta
    that is, if you're looking at the swf from Internet Explorer. Usually, firefox automatically shows the new file. It doesn't have that cache issue.

Yeah, it seems you're having cache problems, if you're using IE, clean your cache.
    Firefox is better, no disagreements there, like

ya i hate that, i always get it, i usually just restart the PC and it will work and Ya it is a chache peoblem
    FLASH ROCKS AND FLASH KIT WOUDENT ROCK WITH OUT FLASH... Fact....

g'ah still now working - so annoying!!

I'm just gonna ignore it for a couple of days and try sort it out again then thanks for everyones help though.

helen

I had this problem, it was when i was uploading a file that was already on the server (i'd changed the file and was re-uploading it), but when i deleted the file that was already on the server and then uploaded it i had no problem. Try that, it worked for me. Don't know why or if this helps.

Scott

Plus with me it only happend on big files. Don't know why.

I've got no idea why my suggestion didn't work. The computer looks to the cache to load up a page so even if you update it it still reads the old one. Open the page in internet explorer and press ctrl and F5 together sorts out this problem.

I can't think of any other reason.

maybe, if u delete cookies and the temporary files, and clear history,
    FLASH ROCKS AND FLASH KIT WOUDENT ROCK WITH OUT FLASH... Fact....