A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Steinway Piano (Black and White)

Steinway Piano (Black and White)

EDIT: The originally posted image has been changed, the original can be found here. I also tried a different composition with one set of blinds partially open here; I like the effect but the contrast in the other blinds can only be lifted if the right blind is overexposed.

I was busy taking shots of some of my girlfriend's artworks when I finally saw this shot of the piano (I've wanted a photo of it for ages). (original - I decided to leave the canvases on the floor in the background because I thought it seemed a little too studio-ish otherwise.)

39mm (original 40mm)
    1/4s (original 1/60s)
    f11 (same as original)
    ISO 200 (original ISO 3200)
    Tripod (original handheld)

(original - Remove noise in Neat Image)

Photoshop:
    Channel mixer for desaturation
    Levels, shadow/highlight, brightness/contrast
    Last edited by a_slosh; 02-23-2006 at 10:44 PM.

Design & Photography

oooh i like it- i like the reflection of the blinds in the piano.

i know what you mean about seeming to studio-ish, but i think the canvases could have been better placed.... maybe to the right of the piano? if you hadn't said they were canvases, i wouldn't have known what they are and i think they're a little dristracting where they are currently. that's just my opinion though, so feel free to ignore it!

very nice shot though- the shaddows are cool

Nikonist
    Light, shadows and greytones are awsome!
    ...is it hanging down on the right a bit ?
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

Thanks guys. Carly I might redo the shot and hope that I can recreate the lighting & conversion.

Frex I'm not quite sure what you mean by hanging down? I thought perhaps that the shot was skew but (to my amazement as the composition was based on "feel" rather than anything technical) the top line of the centre blinds runs exactly along the top.

I never noticed it until now but I really like the shadow of the body of the piano curving along the ground.

Design & Photography

I think I would have prefered more space on the left of the piano rather than on the right. I also think it looks like it could do with rotating anticlockwise a bit.

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    nice picture, but I'd want a different angle, perhaps with the camera at shoulder height?

great piece of music maker there

Ctranter, I considered the space on the other side but it felt "uncomfortable"; sorry I can't describe it more technically than that. I think the rotation may be what Frex was referring to.

Design & Photography

Nikonist
    Quote Originally Posted by a_slosh
    Frex I'm not quite sure what you mean by hanging down? I thought perhaps that the shot was skew but (to my amazement as the composition was based on "feel" rather than anything technical) the top line of the centre blinds runs exactly along the top.
    Yes skew is the word
    You are right with the centre blinds...though if you look at the sill it seems to (hang down to the right) skew.
    Maybe it is an optical irritation...maybe it is a warped old house

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

Why ISO 3200? SO high?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z
    Why ISO 3200? SO high?

LOL because he can *mumbles somthing nasty about rich people*

actually I liek stretching my iso to the limit with black and white photography, noise gives it more style

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    I'd like to see the piano and the keyboard open, but that's just the feeling I get. Like everyone else said the photo isn't level, and maybe a touch of contrast might help also.

Just my 2¢

I'm going to be there again this afternoon so I'll take it again without the art supplies and make sure it's straight. I had the ISO so high because the light was quite low and I wanted the aperture closed down a little to make sure I got the blinds.

EVP wouldn't increased contrast cause the texture in the piano to be lost? Or should I selectively change just the blinds (I don't really want to have to select things as there is a margin for error)?

Design & Photography

I forgot to add that I can't open the piano up because it's kept locked as they have 2 small children who have a habit of ruining things.

Ignoramus, I had originally thought the noise from the high ISO would look good but I prefer it cleaner for this so I'll probably do the reshoot with a tripod.

Design & Photography

so no chance of a macro shot of the keyboard, with all the possible noise an ISO can offer

what if we lock up the children??

Quote Originally Posted by el-Ignoramus
    what if we lock up the children??
    Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by el-Ignoramus
    great piece of music maker there
    I've played it before and to be honest I don't like it, it sounds too perfect for my liking; I prefer a bit more character.

Design & Photography

Ouch!

I've played it before and to be honest I don't like it, it sounds too perfect for my liking; I prefer a bit more character.

Refer back to my edited first post to see the changes I made. I took some suggestions from people and came up with shots of 3 compositions. Only one has the blinds slightly open as I like the parallel lines that the contrast of the shadows form when they are closed.

Original
    New take on original
    Placement of piano on right
    Fuller crop on the piano - don't like this one but someone suggested it so I'll show them

Design & Photography

i like this one. i really like the shaddows casted. and ctranter was right- shifting it to the other side of the frame works better

Nikonist
    Quote Originally Posted by carly1979
    i like this one. i really like the shaddows casted. and ctranter was right- shifting it to the other side of the frame works better
    I think the shifted one is the best

www.ajs-design.de

I would agree with you guys completely if it weren't for one thing - the loss of the contrast in the other blinds because of the extra light on the right. I may try and selectively lift the contrast although I think it might be too tedious selecting the correct areas.

EDIT: Changes have been made, was actually quite easy. The decision has been made, I'm sticking with this one and not looking at this stupid piano again!

40mm
    f11
    1/6s (tripod)
    ISO 200
    Too much time in PS getting the contrast right
    Last edited by a_slosh; 02-24-2006 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Update

Design & Photography