dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: sound support in 3DFA (older flash versions)

sound support in 3DFA (older flash versions)

Hi
    Adding sounds to a flash animation: if I export as Flash MX (or 5) then the .swf plays ok in Internet Explorer. If I export as an older version of Flash, say Flash 3, then the animation displays ok in IE but without sound.
    According wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macromedia_Flash), sound support was added in Flash 2.

This is with embedded sound, chosing either a .mp3 or .au sample from the 3DFA library. Can anyone explain what's going on here ?

Background:
    I really would like to be able to create Flash 3 animations with sound because ultimately the output is to be viewed on a Netgem iPlayer which doesnt support the newer Flash versions.
    (soundless flash 3 animations on the Netgem seem ok except for text)

thanks

Sorry, its before my time. Someone else might know. Can I ask why you are using Netgem?
    BC

Netgem

Netgem is a set top box with a built in browser. I'd like to be able to view flash animations on my TV.

Is anyone aware of other products that can create older version (i.e. v3) flash files?

For Flash 3, 3DFA should work just fine. You will need to set the movie to use the Advanced Options properties mode, and change the SWF Version field from Flash MX to Flash 3. This allows 3DFA to send the output into the desired backwards-compatibility mode, otherwise I would very much doubt you would succeed (in other words, the SWF format must match the expected format exactly).

UPDATE: I thought I would add this analogy: Think of your worksite, and picture it has five Windows XP boxes and seven Windows 2000 machines. Now you want the most secure Internet environments so you install virus protection, spyware removal and the latest security fixes. Now you go to install IE7 for testing. It works fine on XP, but not on Win2000 BECAUSE MICROSOFT DOES NOT SUPPORT THIS ANYMORE AS OF IE7, so you end up substituting Firefox on the Win2000 machines, which does in fact support both. Same is true of older technologies that can only use older versions of the Flash Player: you cannot use a Flash MX file in an environment that only supports SWF up to Flash 3; however newer versions of the Flash Player are for the most part backwards-compatible with previous versions to a point, hence 3DFA's backwards-compatible compiler. (Note that there are a few slight glitches introduced with Flash 8 that you should be aware of that affect this backwards compatibility, so yes there are limits as versioning changes affect the use of pre-existing SWF files as the Flash player evolves. But I'm sure you get the idea.)
    Last edited by JSDvs9172; 02-23-2006 at 09:37 PM.
    Jeffrey Davis (3DFA user since 2.x... or was it 3.x?) (Yes, I finally reveal the offline identity of JSDvs9172, being myself of course. Oh, and sorry for stealing your signature idea, blanius, which I see you stopped using.)

Note I did create a flash 3 file using the "Advanced Options" (which is a lower version that you can go with Swish and KoolMoves) - the only trouble is, 3DFA didnt seem to export the sound that goes with the animation (when played in IE v6 on win2000)