A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: x-pos of mc inconsistent w/ property panel

x-pos of mc inconsistent w/ property panel

Hello,

If I draw a square and make it a movieclip, then I go into the movieclip and move that its x position is something like -100 or something. Now go back to the main movie and place this MC onto the stage at x position 200.

Now name the instance test. go to first frame and type "test._x = 200"

The predictable response is that the MC will stay where you placed it since you placed it on x=200 in the developing environment and you're telling it x=200 in actionscript. But the end result is that, if you run it, it will put it in a different spot.

I think what's going on is that it's lining up 200 w/ the little cross of the MC (whatever you call it.. the x=0 y=0 point inside the MC). But the problem is that if actionscript is going to do that, then I want Flash (in the properties panel) to show me the same thing too!

Even if I go into the "info panel" and click the little center thing instead of the top left hand corner thing, it is still a little off... Why is this?

Thanks.

~j.

Flash uses whatever spot is the top left corner of the clip on the stage, not the center mark, [Registration Point], inside the movie clip. Like if you go to the main stage and click a movie clip, you see the blue line around it. The top left corner is where it's reading from.