A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Pricing Your Game?!

Pricing Your Game?!

Greetings,

So I released my first game Puff Ball. As I am trying to now make some money with it, I am having a hard time figuring out just how much I should be asking for it. A couple web sites want to license the game for unlimited use for a set period. So what is a fair price?

I can't seem to find any resource on the web for this. I just wish I knew how much a game like Zuma would go for, and then how much a game thats more simple (like mine) would go for. Any ideas?

Cheers!
    -sc2071
    http://www.mercilessgames.com/

Sorry my friend, but I think the only way is setting your work a price. If no one buys it, you aimed too high.

It really depends on how much work you put into it and how much you want to get out. If it took you 20 hours to make, find a price per hour you find reasonable per hour, and find what the price should be around.

Quote Originally Posted by TeroLebe
    Sorry my friend, but I think the only way is setting your work a price. If no one buys it, you aimed too high.
    Just start at a million and work your way down.

Just a thought, can you ask the buyers to make an offer? Then you can just round the price to something your happy with.

Or would this scare the buyer off?

Also what i had always planned on doing is to make a few smaller/simpler games and selling them/getting ripped of so i can start to get an idea of how it works before going out and selling my 1# work and getting ripped off.
    92.7 Fresh FM for all your South Aussies - Doof Doof music FTW people!

dude... it's pong, under the sea.

I've always been of the opinion that internet flash games just aren't a real 'industry' yet.
    If it's money you're after your best hope is to try and sell your work to one of those proto 'flash publisher' sites like CrazyMonkeyGames or whatever, that generate enough cash from their advertising to pay the creators that provide the content that keep the people coming to be exposed to the ads.. ... yeah..

It's too young an industry to seriously hope to charge someone actual money to play an enhanced version of a thirty year old game. More accurately, it's ridiculous to hope to charge someone to play a game they could very easily find a less glossy, free version of, with exactly the same gameplay mechanic.

Never the less, he can and wants to make money of it. He never asked if flash development is an industry he never asked about any of the crap you posted, if you dont have any thing constructive or nice to say dont say it all (Unless its funny).
    So what is a fair price?
    how much a game thats more simple (like mine) would go for
    Those are the question he asked.
    92.7 Fresh FM for all your South Aussies - Doof Doof music FTW people!

And I answered both questions as realistically as I could.

$0

I didn't set out to be mean or say "Your game isn't worth anything, haw haw", and if you can get someone to pay to play Pong, then more power to you. But ... seriously..
    What would you pay Gloo pot?

EDIT: It seems I skimmed over the part saying there were already people asking to license it. In which case my suggestion is determine a figure you'd be happy with and don't tell them, then ask them what they're willing to offer, then do some quick haggling!
    Last edited by astutelad; 02-25-2006 at 04:39 AM.

No money talk in games forum. If someone wants to continue discussion, then please use PM.

Thread closed.