dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Lost audio on imported video - help!

Lost audio on imported video - help!

Hi,

I've just started using v.8 and am even newer to video...

I imported a QuickTime movie and everything semmed to go just fine except that the audio either didn't import/export or I've missed something on how to get the .swf to play with the audio. I'm guessing the latter. The visual part plays back just fine. No problems there.

When importing I left all setting to their default (Progressive download from a web server...etc), then published and viewed via the html file. Also viewed .swf in Flash Player. No audio in either case and, yes, my speakers are turned up.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    hyperdogt

This may help (Flash help files):

About audio support for MPEG video

Because MPEG encodes both the video and audio portions of a file into a single track, encoding MPEG files as FLV files may result in the audio portion being removed (or "dropped"). This occurs primarily when encoding video files into FLV format on the Macintosh platform. On the Macintosh, MPEG video is imported using QuickTime. QuickTime does not support extracting audio content from MPEG files (although QuickTime will correctly play back an MPEG file with audio programming).

If you are encoding MPEG video with audio on a Macintosh, it is recommended that you first convert the MPEG video clip into another format that encodes audio and video as separate tracks within the file. You can then encode the other format as an FLV file, and preserve the audio content.

Another alternative is to use a computer with the Windows operating system. Windows imports MPEG video using DirectShow, which supports extracting both the video and audio tracks of an MPEG file. This lets you convert MPEG video to the FLV format without removing the audio portion of the video clip.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -
    | www.Flashscript.biz | Flashscript Biz Classes/Components |

cancerinform,

This is the help I was looking for, thanks! I suspected it might have something to do with Mac vs. PC (sigh...) Your instruction on converting to another formatis excellent advice.

hyperdogt

...but don't throw your Mac in the trash. Excellent maschine, I have one too and I am not gone change.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -
    | www.Flashscript.biz | Flashscript Biz Classes/Components |