dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Looking for Simple Photography Flash

Looking for Simple Photography Flash

Hello,
    I am looking for something either already made or willing to pay someone to do...

I want to have 1 large image for a main photo and then several smaller thumbnails than when the user clicks on will change the large photo.

The key is, is that I want the photos and thumbnails to be pulled dynamically from a directory, so I don't ever have to open the Flash file to modify it.

Does anyone have something like this, be able to point me in the direction... or have the interest of doing something custom for me for pay?

thanks,
    Brian

try www.flashimagegallery.com that might be what you're looking for.

that would be great but it looks like the layout is pre determined and can not be customized...

thanks...

I am looking for something similar to this..

http://www.templatemonster.com/flash...tes/10117.html

I would actually buy that one... but I only want the photo piece and it looks like one flash file... also I don't know if that layout will require me to maintain a .fla file.

Gallery

I've been trying to do the same thing without luck at the moment(except for the dynamic images part): this is what I have been doing.
    Made thumbnail images of all my big images.
    Then made them all buttons.
    Made a 'sroll' button (a button called scroll)
    Then I am playing around with putting an action on that layer like so:

on (press) {
    tellTarget ("left") {
    gotoAndPlay (2);
    }
    }
    on (release) {
    tellTarget ("left") {
    gotoAndStop (1);
    }
    }

I don't understand how to do this yet but I will tell you if I work it out. What I am trying to do is the same as you and my finished thumbnail gallery with links to bigger images should look like this:
    http://www.geocities.com/edwickes/galleryimage.html

please tell me if you have any luck! Thanks
    Last edited by newnewnewnew; 02-27-2006 at 06:09 PM.

you can probably just write some code that loads images incrementally... such as 1.jpg, 2.jpg, 3.jpg, 4.jpg..etc..etc..etc... then if no more images...do some sort of try/catch statement..then stays there....or says no more images message.

things to keep in mind.. not all images are same size... so you may have to write code to autosize yoru "border" or BG..or whatever (if applicable)..to accomodate for the image variance.

update; doing some more thinking...I see you wanted thunmbsnails too. that Im assuming..once you drop ina thumbnail you want to be available..so you will have to either use some sort of PHP to maybe read the directory of images names...put it in an ARRAY into flash and have flahs load them...

or depends on how much "updating/maintaining you want to do.. (besides dropping the images in the folder). this may require you to update a text file as well with the image name(s).

cheers

Thanks for the reply- I don't understand about loading them incremetally as i am a newbie- can I put links on the buttons that make a jpg appear on the page (ie outside the swf)? That would be my best solution as the size would be predefined and it would be the best for my design as the flash would only be the size of the small thumbnail gallery/scroll. I have seen it done on this page: page:http://www.cvtravel.co.uk/villas/ita...La-Fornace.cfm

Thanks for any pointers!!
    Last edited by newnewnewnew; 02-27-2006 at 06:30 PM.

found this.....

http://www.flashrelief.com/thumbgallery/features.html

looks like it will do what I need... and for $20 its a great deal.

and put to use.....

the rest of the shell hasnt been coded yet... but basically this will sit inside a HTML shell of a homepage.

http://briandoakes.com/gallery/

Dipesh
    GraphicArist, that looks really cool, love the design of it.

how do you add more thembnails then just those 4-5?? how do you nav through them?..what if you have images bigger than that?

Quote Originally Posted by whispers
    how do you add more thembnails then just those 4-5?? how do you nav through them?..what if you have images bigger than that?
    It can all be controlled within the XML very easily.

You can have as many photos as you want, you can have more than one column. To navigate it scrolls up and down (or left and right). And you can control the placement of the thumbnails Top, Bottom, Left, Right. You can control the size of the main image and the size of the thumbnails.

There are 2 methods of using this... You can import their component into a existing Flash based design and change all of the parameters in the Component Inspector window.... but for me... my site will not be in in Flash, so I used just the flash gallery piece and controlled the look of it via the XML.

Very very simple... and 100% Definitely worth the $20, plus I emailed them a bunch of questions afterwards, and they were very responsive and very helpful.