A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How To Preload An External Swf in Main.swf

FIBEROPTIC

How To Preload An External Swf in Main.swf

Hi I am a beginner as you can understand from my question

The question is:

InI have a "main. swf"; buttons will call the external swf's that they are linked to. Simply Home button calls the "home.swf" inside the "main.swf":

loadMovie("home.swf", _root.pageshere);

How can I write a preloading script to check whether "home.swf" is still loaded or not. I want to use one same preloading animation (which runs in the "main.swf") to the external files.

That's my problem. I will be happy with any help.

Why don't you create a preloader for the external swf files.
    Smile is a small curve which can solve big problems

FIBEROPTIC
    Thanks for idea, and also I was using this method, but now I am in a different situation:
    Now I have several external swf files, and the preloader is a big one. this will make all the external swf' s bigger than it is.

Also I need a control on external swf's loaded in the main swf, like when to start playing the external swf? how much of it is loaded?

As a beginner I dont know how to send variables between external swf's. Thats my main problem in here I think..

Try having an external preloader which gets the info from another external file and then whe loaded gotoAndPlay("main"); for example

FIBEROPTIC
    I tried this:
    "main.swf" calls "home.swf" ; yes but home.swf cannot load any other swf inside it. while "home.swf" is already externally loaded It doesn't recognise "preloader.swf".
    But when I run the same "home.swf" it calls the "preloader.swf". No problem with it.

if anyone can help me about the scripting ( with some details ) It will be very usefull. My actionscript level is not enough to fix the problem with working multiple swf's..

Thanks for all interested

in my footer is a link that may help you do a GREAT preloader. that checks the loaded amounts of ANY external content you load into a blank/empty containerClip.

I do NOT recommend using external preloaders..as that are NOT accurate and troublsome.

if you search my nic & preloader as keyword...you will see MANY threads where I have explained this...as well as attached many .fla's to look at and use.

one i just a drag and drop movieClip...that shows the percentage. all you do is change the name of the emptyClip you are loading your content into.

cheers