A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: targeting frames within movie clips

targeting frames within movie clips

Greetings,

I am using Flash MX 2004 professional

I need some help with a project.

I have a root timeline that contains 2 frames. Each frame is labeled and in each frame there is a movie clip.

Within each movie clip I have two buttons. One to move forward on the root timeline and one to root backward on the main timeline.

What I want to be able to do is go from inside one movie clip (the one on frame 2 of the root timeline) to a specific frame inside the movie clip that is placed on frame 1 of the root timeline.

I tried to label the specific frame within movie clip 1 (frame label "slide1" on the root timeline) with the name "backslide" and then in movie clip 2, I used this script at the end of that movie clip timeline:

_root.gotoAndPlay("slide1","backslide");

This did not work. I tried a number of different ways but either it would just go to the beginning of slide 2 and play it over again or it would go to slide 1 and start from the beginning rather than from the frame I wanted it to start at.

Is there a way to do what I am trying to do?

thanks for your help
    peace
    cc
    <><
    <><

Not really Fat... or a Cat ^_^
    In the path of the target you need to include the name of the MC that contains the label you want to go to:

Code:
    _root.movie-in-frame-1_mc.gotoAndPlay("backslide");
    Of course this means that you need to name the "movie-in-frame-1_mc" in the propierties panel.

Hope this helps ^_^

PS. for this to work you need the movie-in-frame-1 to be active in the stage in the moment the order is given, otherwise nobody will answer the call.

In other words, you need to actually go to frame 1 before telling the movie-in-frame-1 to gotoAndPlay label "backslide"

--Ganbare!
    Last edited by FatCat; 02-28-2006 at 07:17 PM.
    What are you going to do about it?... There's gotta be people for everything --Joan Manoel Serrat

Thanks for the reply. on Frame 1 of the root timeline. I labeled not only the frame but also the movie clip with the label "slide1". I went into movie clip 2 and added this script to the last frame: _root.slide1.gotoAndPlay("backslide");
    The only thing that happened was that instead of going to frame one of the root timeline, calling up the first movie clip and playing beginning from the frame I designated, it just replayed the second movie clip. Does it matter if the name I named the movie clip in the properties is not the actual name of the movie clip as it is in my library? Should I use the same name as the library name in all places?

I don't understand what you meant by "In other words, you need to actually go to frame 1 before telling the movie-in-frame-1 to gotoAndPlay label "backslide" If you are in a movie clip on frame two, how do you make sure that frame one movie clip is active?

Thanks for any insights you might give.
    peace,
    cc
    <><
    <><