A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: My movie is soooooooooooooo slow

My movie is soooooooooooooo slow

Hey folks....me again

Well, 3 days away from the award ceremony and this bloody movie is giving me nightmares. Here's the scoop...I have a main movie and there are 6 movies that open up throughout the program. As I move through the program...by the time I get to the 4th movie it's just chugging. I'm thinking it's my laptop....(though it's brand new)...however, it's happened on my desktop (but no to this degree).

My question: When I publish the movie...is there a better way to have the settings...an optimum way of publishing it to get the best performance? Example: Do I choose "compress movie".

Is it better to use the .swf file to view the movie or the .exe.

Is 22 fps enough? Should I speed it up?

Any help would be...well, very helpful!!
    DANIMA Dave

movies usually chug as a result of far too much going on for the CPU to cope with.
    Cutting back on Bitmap tweens and _alpha tweens helps, making sure you clear setIntervals and end onEnterFrame loops is a must.

The FPS setting is only a limiter, you can set 50 fps but if the CPU chokes your movie will still chug

Sorry for the rookie response...but what are setIntervals and end onEnterFrame loops

thanks for the quick response, btw
    DANIMA Dave

Not really Fat... or a Cat ^_^
    Hi Danima:

Of course I don't have much info about your project, but sounds like you are running out of resources (RAM).

I'm curious about the method you used to insert the 6 movies into your flash file.

If you embedded the movies in the main project, there's no doubt they are clogging down your output, you may want to keep them movies in separate files (swf or flv) and load them at runtime for improved performance.

If you are already loading them at runtime... then make sure you are unloading them once you are through with them, to free memory and speed things up.

Hope this helps, should you need more help, drop us a line ^_^

---Gambare!
    What are you going to do about it?... There's gotta be people for everything --Joan Manoel Serrat

You should avoid setIntervals in your programs ... most probably, 90% will be the setInterval creating some problem... can you post your file or some code ... ??... you have to clear the interval after using it... it will keep on running and will use the memory for stack of variables in it...

Could I upload them to one of our FTP sites and send you the username/password?
    DANIMA Dave

Btw, I forgot to answer Fat Cat. They are seperate movies. The last button has the following:

_level0.nextFrame();
    unloadMovie(_self);

All of the linked movies have this on the last frame
    DANIMA Dave

You can send me the file in private message ...

Not really Fat... or a Cat ^_^
    Hi Danima:

Code:
    _level0.nextFrame();
    unloadMovie(_self);
    For some reason I don't think your movies are being unloaded, this button you refer to... it looks like is on the loaded movie since you refer to _level0 (main movie)

If you go to _level0.nextFrame(); and the loaded movie is no longer active on this frame, the second statement may not work.

Besides I'm not sure about your use of _self (shouldn't be "this"??).

Anyway, you may like to experiment putting the unload command in the frame you are comming to (the next frame you refer to):
    Code:
    _level2.unloadMovie();
    This way you make shure that the movie has being unloaded before doing anything else (I used _level2, but change it to whatever level you are loading to)

Another thing, if you load your movies always on the same level (_level2, for example) any new movie will load over the older one, replacing it... without the need to unload anything.

--Hope this helps!!!
    Last edited by FatCat; 03-02-2006 at 07:02 PM.
    What are you going to do about it?... There's gotta be people for everything --Joan Manoel Serrat