A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Why Vista won't suck... and why we should all jump on the bandwagon!

Why Vista won't suck... and why we should all jump on the bandwagon!

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1931914,00.asp

So far really impressed. I must admit, I haven't given Vista the look over yet, but so far it really seems that Microsoft will have a cracker.

Kernel work over, all sorts of memory buffs (check out the USB memory!!) and totally brand spanking new networking handling.... DirectX 10 too (Vista only)

Then again, these guys could just be Gates in a fake moustache and sun glasses.
    Last edited by The_Xell; 03-01-2006 at 12:06 AM.

Registered pseudo intellectual
    The article didn't even begin to touch some of the (read: innovative) networking and p-2-p technologies in Vista. Loads of new stuff for creating ad-hoc networks instantly that 'just work' and the new "Collaboration framework" under the hood.

The per application sound thing looked pretty good. Never thought about it, but now I think about it I would definitely use it.

Krona, it's there - you may have missed it.

I've thought about per application sound before, and pretty pissed when I couldn't find a work around. Surprised it's taken so long.

Registered pseudo intellectual
    Krona, it's there - you may have missed it.
    It talks about the new networking stack, I don't remember seeing anything about what I just said.

Unless they've changed it, I read it 6 hours ago via slashdot

My Network Places is replaced by the Network Center, a one-stop shop for all your local and internet networking configuration. It includes a visual map of your network layout, local and internet network status, so you can visually see which link in the network is having a problem if you ever have a problem with your connection. Microsoft is aiming to make it easier and more pleasant to browse networked machines with the Network Explorer.
    That sounds very handy.

I really am looking forward to this release.

Awesome. I'm upgrading as soon as its released. Despite the warnings.

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by indivision
    Awesome. I'm upgrading as soon as its released.
    Heck yeah. I will be at the midnight sales the night before to get my copy of Ultimate Edition. I am hoping that my company gets a beta soon....we should be...we are M$ partners I just don't know what level we are at.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

If you have an MSDN account that delivers the DVD's to you, you should have gotten it month's ago right after the PDC versions finally were renamed "Betas"...

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I've got spare Beta's if you want some...

*rips off mask*

I'm Bill Gates, and now your bestfriend.

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    Unless an OS brings me coffee in the morning, I can't understand why it will require a gig RAM to function.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

It's bloatware. 1gb for the OS... meh. They should try harder to get that less.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Despite all the good... Vi$ta will spy on you (probably), have many security issues (probably), dumb down the user (definatly - enabling all that security crap by default. Not showing flash? Are you nuts?!), need a high powered machine to run it (definatly), will be bloatware (definatly, who needs blurry windows?!) and possibly the worst of all... lock you out of your own content if you don't have the right monitor, or pass its checks!

I don't want my OS to tell me what I can or can't do!

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    It's bloatware. 1gb for the OS... meh. They should try harder to get that less.
    According to microsoft.com 512 is recommended.

I read through this thread, it's pretty old (july 2005), but it seems people are running it fine with less. It even sounds like you can turn off the 3-D windows effects which is a feature I definitely hope they include. They should let me decide whether I want to bloat my OS with useless eyecandy or not.

Aero isn't in the basic package, and it's optional

Oh man... Poor Patrick Norton. While I liked watching it, it seems like something you'd find on PBS. I wish TechTV would come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis F5
    I wish TechTV would come back.
    You and me both. TechTV used to be good, but now that it's G4/TechTV it's mostly a bunch of crap. And if it were legal to kill people, that Tommy Tellafreako character would be number one on my list.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Looks ok on paper, but I'd still wait a couple months before upgrading. MS looks like they're playing catch-up on a lot of stuff that's simply been patched and hacked for way too long.

I read some bad things about it caching exe's to speed up application launches, starts chewing up HDD space pretty quick.

Using a USB stick as a swap disk sounds half-assed. I understand the concept, but apply it to a device dedicated to the task. Either a RAM disk or start encouraging OEM's to put a few gig of flash memory on the motherboard or SATA bus. (This is where controlling the hardware makes adding new features easier.) But removable storage? On a bus that syphons CPU cycles? I'm sure that allows everyone to take advantage of the feature right away, but I don't think it's such a good idea.

I think Aero's gonna have problems for awhile. No proof, just a gut feeling.

We actually have it laying around somewhere here and no one's bothered to install it yet, but not out of lack of interest.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Yeah, I was wondering about how much HD space rather than RAM it'll need. I think most people who bought a computer in the last year should have a gig of RAM, it's pretty standard. And, as people are saying, they've run it ok with less than half that.

There are a lot of good looking features on this but I hate that they've broken it into so many variations, I can't believe that's going to help anyone. And then there's the dreaded we're-spying-on-you-and-controlling-what-you-can-do-with-your-content-and-hardware crap. MS, and lobbying content providers, will definitely be taking this release as the opportunity to enforce controls on the user.