A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Corrupt file?

OverMyHead

Corrupt file?

I seem to have gone corrupt. Font conflict message upon opening then file quits. My previous saved version opens OK with the same font conflict message preceding. I have tried to resolve in suitcase with no success. Is the file corrupt or any fixes available? I haven’t had an MX file go corrupt on me, used to happen a lot with Flash 5. Does this happen a lot? My boss will not be impressed.
    Thanks

Mac OSX version 10.3.9
    Flash MX 2004

Not really Fat... or a Cat ^_^
    Calm down Bill:

Can you describe the message you get?

It may be a corrupted font and not a corrupted file, and may be just a font dscrepancy...

...let's hope ^_^
    What are you going to do about it?... There's gotta be people for everything --Joan Manoel Serrat

OverMyHead

Corrupt file?

Thanks, I have calmed down and took the file home to a different computer (diff font library). When I try to open the file without Flash open it gets as far as “initializing fonts” in the Flash MX splash window then hesitates and then the application quits. The same thing happens when I try to open the file from within Flash. This afternoon I got a font conflict message asking me to choose which Times font to use in Suitcse. When I switched the Times font from Times T1 to Times TT I got the same message and the application then quit. I tried getting rid of preferences, getting rid of and replacing all my Times fonts and it keeps quitting. I have previous versions saved which give me the same conflict message briefly but then open anyway when I close the conflict message windows. Have you encountered a lot of corrupt files with MX?
    Thank you

Not really Fat... or a Cat ^_^
    Hi Bill:

I've never had a corrupt file in MX, but corrupt fonts in Mac is everyday stuff. Since Mac treats fonts as OS resources, they get rewritten every so often and different versions of the same font are merged in the system font list.

Suitcase often is less help than not since it try to force their font deffinitions on the OS.

Now on something practical... try to turn off Suitcase in the extension Manager, reboot and check for duplicate Time fonts inside your fonts folder (and any other duplicate fonts for that matter)

If I'm not mistaken OSX gives priority to TrueType fonts over Type1 and OpenType fonts.

Try to open your file and if you succeed use Edit>Font Mapping to change your fonts to something harmless (like one of Flash own fonts... _serif for example)

Save a copy of your file (not over it).

Turn on Suitcase again and reboot.

Lasty open your new file and change the font again to times.

---Hope this helps

PS. let me know what happened Ok?
    What are you going to do about it?... There's gotta be people for everything --Joan Manoel Serrat

OverMyHead
    Thanks FC,
    I have tried to weed out duplicates and missing fonts but the file still doesn’t open. The Flash file actually didn’t have any fonts in it (just a movie). I’m going to rebuild the scene and hope for the best. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.