dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Buffering FLV Playback of Spokeswoman problem.

Hybrid View

Buffering FLV Playback of Spokeswoman problem.

Hello, I am working on a project that will have a spokeswoman shot on green screen that will be overlaid on the website identical to the 2007 Mercedes-Benz S-Class site below:

http://www.mbusa.com/microsite/s-class/index.jsp

The problem I am having is ensuring that the video stream well and not have any pauses or interruptions as the woman is talking. I don’t want to pre-load the entire video as it would take too long. Right now I am using the following simple code to playback the video, I am setting the Buffering time to 5 seconds.

var nc:NetConnection = new NetConnection();
    nc.connect(null);

var ns:NetStream = new NetStream(nc);

theVideo.attachVideo(ns);

ns.setBufferTime(5);

ns.play("test.flv");

This does not play the entire video even on a fast cable modem without any interruptions like the Mercedes site does.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction? I have searched all the forums and tutorial sites but I can’t find the answer.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Regards,
    Nino

I think you just need to add an adaptive preloader to the start. That way it'll "sniff" the connection speed and buffer whatever amount is needed for smooth playback. If you can't make one yourself I suggest using the "Flix" program from ON2 which will automatically add a adaptive preloader in the confusingly misnamed "screensaver" mode of that program.

Download a demo of it and text it - nothing to lose.

Short of building something similar yourself, or preloading everything, I don't see any other easy way around this.