A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Presentation Problems

Presentation Problems

Hello All

I'm currently working on a presentation in flash that contains video. There has to be a menu that allows the user to have the choice to watch the whole presentation or if there is one or two sections they want to hear they can press the button, the movie would play that section and return to the menu. Like you would see on a deleted scene section on a DVD.
    Anyone one have any ideas of a way I can achieve this without cutting up the video into the subject section?

thanking you in advance

What I would do is embed my .flv into a mc, i would scrub through the movie, to see at what frame each section starts at. Then I would assign frame labels for each section, and then in my menu I would assign AS to send the user to each frame label

Understood. However what AS code would be use play certain sections. Something like go to frame label "section one" but stop at "section two" and then still have the freedom to play all sections if desired.

Not Real since 1985
    Using flash 8 you can use an external flv, seek for the start of the segment you want to play and during playback count the seconds or frames played.
    Or maybe easier, if you encode the flv yourself, you can embed cue points in your flv and use these in the player for positioning.

If you use the flv player component, you can use standard buttons or use your own defined buttons.
    Never accept the first 'impossible' unless it comes from a lady.

Quote Originally Posted by StylesCJ4
    Understood. However what AS code would be use play certain sections. Something like go to frame label "section one" but stop at "section two" and then still have the freedom to play all sections if desired.

Lets say the video has 3 sections: Sales, Service, Catalog: you would insert 3 seperate keyframes in the mc that hold the .flv.

Then on your buttons you would use something like this:

on(release) {
    _root.myFLV_mc.gotoAndPlay("Service");
    }

Quote Originally Posted by estudioworks
    Lets say the video has 3 sections: Sales, Service, Catalog: you would insert 3 seperate keyframes in the mc that hold the .flv.

Then on your buttons you would use something like this:

on(release) {
    _root.myFLV_mc.gotoAndPlay("Service");
    }
    Cool that will work, but at the end of service will it go back to the menu or will it contiue to the next section and play Catalog?

Whatever you want it to do:

Return to menu: Insert this in the last frame of Service: _root.myFLV_mc.gotoAndStop("start");

If you want it to continue then do nothing

Quote Originally Posted by estudioworks
    Whatever you want it to do:

Return to menu: Insert this in the last frame of Service: _root.myFLV_mc.gotoAndStop("start");

If you want it to continue then do nothing

The problem with that is using your same example you gave a menu page with three sections Sales, Service, Catalog so the user can see which section they want. There is also going to be a "Play All" button and if there is a root.myFLV_mc.gotoAndStop("start"); at the end of all sections the "Play All" button wouldn't work. I want to achive this with out cutting up the FLV.