dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arena Tips & Techniques

i dunno, i just quickly mock it up. perhaps expert could have done better.

but i agree with u, you will definately have more control using your way.

Is that perspective grid something that you can see all the time and turn on or off like the regular grid or guides? Having that to use a reference that you could snap to might come in handy.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

this vanishing point is a generator, so after u've done it just disapears. ...not sure how to keep the grids

no, it's a transform tool in CS2, nothing you can keep on or draw on...yeah, i agree if i could draw some freehand lines rather than relying on the unflexible horizontal and vertical guides would be awesome. it's hard to get a different perspective than just face front with the guides.

Yeah, I really glossed over the whole topic of perspective in that window tut. I said you want to determine and use the perspective already present in the image, but that's a LOT easier to do if you already know a bit about perspective. (that's a lot of perspectives...lol)
    mrush

Rush, I know we talked about this via PM, per request, allow me to make some comments/critiques about your image. But not in such a verbose manner as you tend to do. Just my personal opinion about your image...

Ok, from your earlier tutorial, before you added the texture, you had a higher contrast image with great shadows on the mask, hair, nose, and areas around the mask and eye. However, you added a rather opaque pattern overlay that robbed you of that clarity. Without it, you automatically have a better image.

Now, with the type... definitely the weakest portion of the image, imho. The placement of the text leads to false tension... you're forcibly leading the eye down and right; however it's the opposite of the image, which is down and left - from eye to nose is usually a natural progression of viewing somebody. Also, the choice of font... I would have rather have seen Enigma or Bliss as a thicker serif font to create a bit of balance. A san serif font would have been a featureless addition to the image. Even Dalliance (Omni) or Kurosawa would have been a better choice... the weight of the font makes it get lost too easily.

Given that, you don't have a natural progression for the image... it's not one continuous look. It's a look from middle to down left to the image, and then it's a look from middle to down right for the text... an inverted "V" basically where the strokes are opposing. Most layouts are actually "Z" format... upper left to right, diagonally down, then back across... the eyes then cover the most distance on the same image with a bit of redundancy/overlay - meaning that the person will see parts of the image more than once, so it sticks in their head.

The type of font you used... also a problem for me. It's too thin and got overlaid with the pattern. It doesn't contrast enough - a simple white or almost white would have opposed the image enough to force the person to read, and not to force tension. The eyes would have followed a half "Z" at least that way if the text were condensed and placed in the lower right where it would have had more contrast.

There's a bit of dark grey that's on the right side of the face. It doesn't come off as a shadow, not under the pattern overlay at least. It looks like a bit oversaturation from an edit. That should have been cleaned up.

Good points... your brought that eye forward and that centers the object and focus. You should have played more from that. Choice of colors - before the pattern overlay - is a tight palette and works great. Composition is great... you put stuff together in a manner that works. Your overlaying some of the hair over onto the shoulder and nose is done very well.

Have to add that on the left hand (their right hand) of the person coming out of the mask has some fringe pixels on the lower portion of that hand.

All in all, it's a good image, but a few missed steps hindered it from being that image that it could have been.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I probably didn't make too much sense in some areas... but I hope that the whole layout thing makes some sense. It's pretty much the formula I use to create tension and make the eyes see the whole image. A "Z" is actually one of the best ways to get that done.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Sweet...thanks, gerbs.

Yeah, I hear ya about the font. I was actually trying to contrast the 'beastial' part of the image with a more refined looking font, but that didn't really come off quite right. And yep, that 'greyness' happened when I burned that area to tone down the highlights and I was just being lazy and hoping the overlay would mostly cover it up.

Good points all around that I'm sure I can use to my advantage in the future. Much appreciated, my man!
    mrush