A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Location and name of published SWFs

Kris Hunt

Location and name of published SWFs

The default behavior of Flash MX 2004 is to save published SWFs in the same folder as the FLA, and the filename is updated to match the FLA, no matter how many times you Save As a different filename. That's nice.

Let's say I want to save all my FLAs in a folder called "working" and my published SWFs in a folder called "images", and both of those folders are on the same level. I just discovered that I can set the publish directory to "../images" to maintain a relative path. But if I resave the FLA under a different name, the published SWF still has the old filename. Is there any way to maintain a relative path to published SWFs AND have Flash update the filename to match the FLA?

I dont think so, go into publish settins to give it a custom name, this would make it independant of the file name

Kris Hunt
    I'm not talking about intentionally giving the SWF a name independent from the FLA. Normally, if you have a FLA called one.fla and publish it, the SWF will automatically be named one.swf. If you were to take that same FLA and Save As two.fla, the name of the SWF would be updated to two.swf. But if you save the SWF in a different location than the FLA, then the connection between the two filenames breaks. It shouldn't.
    Last edited by KrisHunt; 03-09-2006 at 09:12 AM.

ah yeh, i dont think there is anyway round that, once they are in sperate folders they are no longer linked, only way to do it by the looks of things is to split them afterwards, but then u have the problem of editing the fla and it not saving the swf to its new location. hmmm a conundrum!