A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Little Help with "Super Mario War" Game.

Being

Little Help with "Super Mario War" Game.

Hello there, I'm making my own little rendition of the ever popular "Super Mario War" game in flash.

I have a couple of problems so far.

1) I obviously need it to look better when mario walks, it's all choppy. How do I get it to look perfect when the right/left buttons are held down?

2) The hitTesting. It worked a little bit ago, but then just decided not to, and I saved it. WTF?! Can someone help me get it working. (Especially in the 2nd "practice" frame). I have the "outline" MC, but it doesn't get detected. Something about "localtoGlobal," but I'm confused.

3) The last thing would to get the scrolling "background" working in the "practice" Frame 2. I put everything in, and it still refuses to scroll when mario gets close.

If someone could totally help and comment the file, that would be awesome! I'll add your name to the game if you want. If not, can someone at least debug or point me in the right direction for some of this crap! It's so frustrating!

Thanks again!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If you're willing to pay, (any amount, just let me know) I'm currently open for any type of Flash work (all the way up to Flash 8 if necessary).

Don't hesitate to contact me on AIM: pee w herman X. Or, email me all of the details, and I'll get back to you ASAP. pwherman[@]gmail.com.

Thanks!

Unfortunately i don't have sufficient time to debug this entire game. Honestly to be harsh and blunt at the same time, if you can't figure out how to make your character run then there is no point in trying to make an entire game. I am not trying to be dissuading or asswholish at all but if you want to make a game there is a lot more involved than you think and you should probably practice making simple things first, here is a simple game that i made, the code might be overwhelming but you can take a look if you want, it was made in my earlier coding days so it is kind of buggy with the hittest but should do fine
    So tired of all the fighting....

http://joejoe2288.kawanda.net

hmm that is funny the file didn't attach...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    So tired of all the fighting....

http://joejoe2288.kawanda.net

Being
    Thanks, that's a pretty cool game.

If you can find just a little time, I'd really appreciate if you could just get the scrolling background thing to move with mario on frame 2. Once I learn that, I can just work with the hitTest more (had it working at one point), and get better with the gotoAndPlay/Stop animations for mario.

Thanks.
    If you're willing to pay, (any amount, just let me know) I'm currently open for any type of Flash work (all the way up to Flash 8 if necessary).

Don't hesitate to contact me on AIM: pee w herman X. Or, email me all of the details, and I'll get back to you ASAP. pwherman[@]gmail.com.

Thanks!

he runs too fast

Qwaizang:syntax_entity_ Q__Hybrid's Avatar
    PW,

Is your game in Flash 8 or MX '04? I'd be interested in taking a look, but if it's version 8 and/or scripted on a Mac I won't be able to help.

+Q__
    Qwai•zang \kwî-'zan\ n [origin unknown] 1 : abstract designer, esp. of complex real-time experiments, c. 21st century

Being
    Hey Q, I have Flash 8, but the one here is saved in MX 2004 from a Windows computer (see attachment at top).

Check it out, and you could be one of my main helpers if you're interested.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Qwaizang:syntax_entity_ Q__Hybrid's Avatar
    PW,

I have the file and I've begun wading through it. How much freedom would I have if I wanted to make changes? Any changes made would be established to improve the engine.

It would help me if you told me more about your goals for this project, in terms of gameplay. We can discuss this further in Private Messages.

+Q__
    Qwai•zang \kwî-'zan\ n [origin unknown] 1 : abstract designer, esp. of complex real-time experiments, c. 21st century