A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Press SPACEBAR or ENTER to activate and use this control - eolas

Press SPACEBAR or ENTER to activate and use this control - eolas

For those of you who havn't been keeping up with this microsoft IE update due to the lawsuite with EOLAS -- you prob got a smack in the face this weekend like me. Microsoft latest automatic update implmented a new tooltip to activate flash content. See this article:

--- QUOTE from http://weblog.motion-graphics.org/archives/news/
    March 10, 2006
    Click to activate and use this control
    You may have started seeing tooltip text that reads 'Click to activate and use this control' or 'Press SPACEBAR or ENTER to activate and use this control' whenever you open a Flash web page. Worse still, the Flash page will not work until you actually click the Flash content. This makes many (all?) Flash sites appear broken...

You will see this new 'feature' if you have Windows update enabled and you use Internet Explorer. Microsoft have added this feature after losing a legal battle with Eolas.

The feature actually has no practical use (its not a security measure) and has occurred purely because of a legal issue.

The background issue revolves around the use of plugins on a webpage, which Eolas claim patents on. Any content that is included within a web page via the applet, object or embed tags will be affected, and this includes Flash. It is important that you fix this issue for any Flash sites you are maintaining because the user cannot disable this new operation through their browser. You have been warned!

There is a fix for this issue here. http://www.pixelmill.com/support/kb101593.htm

-----

So if your like me and wondering why your setfocus commands and everything else stopped working - read up!.. Thought i would post this so everyone else that searches for "'Press SPACEBAR or ENTER to activate and use this control" knows what its all about!

there is also another fix here: http://blog.deconcept.com/2005/12/15...-flash-plugin/

-SM
    Last edited by smenshik; 03-12-2006 at 10:44 AM.

Hmmm, I tried it and it works. Wonder what you'll need to do if you run multiple swf's on a page.

whew my Explorer is asking me that in the morning, lucky I refused.
    When you actually know what "OMG I have so much homework!" means, you won't want to be me.
    Xrave

yah too bad all our clients customers aren't going to be as informed

Advance Motion Management
    I did the fix and it works for me. Thankz Smenshik. But its gonna be bad specially if its just a banner-ad made in flash.

--
    Vini
    Its in my Blood, B+

Go with FSR, its streamlined and well worth the 5 bones. The existing hacks and fixes are just that, hacks. FSR works in IE 7 as well.

-s

Quote Originally Posted by stayingtuned
    Go with FSR, its streamlined and well worth the 5 bones. The existing hacks and fixes are just that, hacks. FSR works in IE 7 as well.

-s
    Have you tried this with anything but flash movies? Like these others?

Adobe Reader
    Apple QuickTime Player
    Macromedia Flash Player
    Microsoft Windows Media Player
    Real Networks RealPlayer
    Sun Java Virtual Machine

Not but I'm sure I'll be trying it out for the acro reader and/or QT soon.

-s

Well, let me know. I just ordered it myself, for DW8. I use the original PixelMill workaround, which is good, and the ones from Adobe, for the QT mov files, which also worked, but it's time consuming, and I'd like to find a faster way. Got too many client sites to update the slow but sure way.

If this works, I'll add the link to a sticky in Newbies and General forums.

Nice, yeah I was in the same boat. At the agency I work at we're constantly getting calls from clients "our flash is broke" haha. We buzz through the site in less than 20 minutes and charge them our 1 hour minimum plus come out as heroes haha.

FSR drops creates/drops the external .js file and sets up link relativity automatically. Its pretty dope plus clean.

-s

The other day, I started using the new extension for F8 and published the new pages with that. It works fine, but it still makes a lot of extra copy paste work to do a couple hundred pages. This seems to be just the fix I've been looking for. I knew it would happen though. It's too easy for someone who knows how to make extensions and javascript to not get in on this. I predicted it on the first day of the IE updates.

: o ) I'm good in JS but I wouldn't know where to start with an extension. Historically I've avoided them but yeah it is a great idea. My other thread got locked because it was a double post so if you come across "EVPohovich" tell him I apologize. I just started doing searches and responding to posts with a link to the extension. Then I figured I'd just start a new thread but it got locked heh.

Yeah, double posts are taboo, and if they think someone is spamming the forums with their own product, it's instant ban. But I can add the link in the sticky with the other fixes, as it will really help stop all these posts for the same problem.

Now, it's just getting everyone to read the sticky's instead of just posting new threads for the same old....

Haha true.

Stayingtuned, do you remember how long it took to get the link for download? I'm still waiting.

Yeah, like a day. I dont think he has any type of automated process in place. I got an email from him with the extensions a day later. You can email him directly at m i k e @ f i g i t d o t c o m hehe.

-s

Yeah, just sent him a mail. It's only been about 24 hours though. I guess I'm caught up in the internet instant gratification thing.

Actually, I was more afraid that SpamBully got it and I didn't catch it. LOL

Advance Motion Management
    I dunknow whats gonna happen.........// Its gonna suck

--
    Vini
    Its in my Blood, B+

Hmmm...I sent $5 about a day and a half ago....Haven't heard anything yet. I'll let you know whether I've been hosed or not.

Yeah, I did mine on Thursday, and nothing. Even sent him a mail asking about it.

I'll give it till Tuesday, then I'm contacting PayPal about fraud.